Chapter 34: Our Paths

Within Wall Rose, Survey Corps Headquarters

Ilyse discretely places a stack of books on the corner of my desk. She brings her hands behind her back and shyly bows her head. "Thank you for lending me these, Squad Leader. I learned a lot from them..." The last of her words vaporize into a mere nothingness that lingers in the cool air of my office.

Such a timid girl. She reminds me of myself when I was her age.

Unable to look others in the eye for more than a few seconds. Bracing herself from the discomfort that comes with talking to another. Constantly reflecting on the words that have come out of her mouth to check for any mistakes. I have experienced all this.

However, I have changed drastically since then.

I look at her and see my teenage self. The only exceptions to our resemblance are her light blonde bob of hair, watery blue eyes, and tall figure.

"I'm glad you got something out of these books, Ilyse. Do you enjoy reading often?" I ask.

She continues to look at the ground as she answers, "I find certain books fascinating. Especially ones about history and such."

I nod while dragging the lighted candle on the edge of my desk closer to our vicinity. "I can see that. I'm sure you found the history of the 3-D Maneuver Gear interesting." I look at the stack of books and find one of its bindings etched with worn letters reading, "The Origin of the Three-Dimensional Maneuver Gear."

"Y-Yes, I did," she responds, "We are taught how to use the equipment, but I have never really known about the genius who designed such technology. This book definitely provided me with this knowledge."

"It's amazing, isn't it? Some people just have incredibly intelligent minds," I comment.

Ilyse finally raises her head to look at me with her soft eyes and positions herself in the military salute. "I-I must be going. Thank you once again," she says while turning towards the far door.

"Ah, wait, Ilyse," I call out to her.

She frantically spins her body around to face me, making her jacket twirl along with her.

I smile and explain, "I wanted to praise you for your hard work. You seem like a very determined soldier and I commend you for that."

Although Ilyse may be quiet and reserved, she has shown the most diligence out of everyone in the squad during the one week since their arrival. She is always the first to meet me in the mornings of our excursions to the forest and our surveying trips to practice our squad formation. She never leaves a task unfinished and takes her role as a soldier seriously. Disregarding her timidness, Ilyse is the ideal subordinate every superior wants to have in their team.

Ilyse gives me a short bow. "T-Thank you v-very much, Squad Leader."

This is your chance, Renata. You want a close relationship with your squad so don't mess this up.

"I'm a bit curious...Why did you decide to join the Survey Corps?"

The girl rubs the back of her hand. Her averted eyes reflect slight discomfort.

Maybe it was a bit too soon to ask.

"Um...I-If you don't mind..." She sits herself down on a short chair in front and presses her legs together. "It's a bit of a long story..." Ilyse says while giving me a nervous look.

My excitement from this advancement in our acquaintance causes me to hurriedly spit out, "No, no, no! I don't mind at all!" I lean against my desk and give her my full attention.