Twelve

(A/N)

Sorry about the lack of updates y'all :*

********

Scott slept with Mitch tucked under his arm, Mitch's face pressed to Scott's chest, as Mitch had fallen asleep to the comforting sound of Scott's heartbeat.

Mitch woke up first, but wished he hadn't, so he just became comfortable again, and then fell back asleep.

The second time he woke up, was due to Scott tracing circles on Mitch's back.

Mitch smiled, and then moved his head to stare at Scott. "Morning."

Scott smiled right back.

"How are you?"

Scott shrugged.

Mitch frowned. "Talk to me. Words. I want to hear your voice."

"You're stunning."

Mitch smiled quickly. "Aw! Thank you!"

Scott smiled again, and then leaned up to kiss Mitch's lips once before sliding his body out from underneath him so that he could go to the bathroom.

Mitch watched him go, and then turned over to look at the clock that hung on the white wall beside the bed.

When Scott came back, he laid right back down where he was, pulling Mitch into his embrace again, before closing his eyes.

Mitch giggled. "The nurse will be here soon. Don't let her catch you out of place."

Scott pouted and opened his eyes. "Kiss first?"

Mitch smiled at his attempt to speak, and leaned forward to kiss him once, before waving his hands at him so that he'd get off the bed. "Go on. I don't want you to get in trouble."

Scott stood up and stretched quickly, before he heard a single knock on their door, and Kevin popped his head in. "Oh, good. You're already awake. Nevermind."

Mitch sat up. "Good morning!"

Kevin smiled at him. "Isn't today your visitation day?"

Mitch nodded and smiled. "Yeah. My mom is coming in this time."

"Very cool... Very cool. Well, I'll leave you to it. I think Stacy will be here any second." Kevin walked out without saying goodbye, most likely off to wake someone else up.

Down the hall, Jake was brushing his teeth to conduct his morning routine.

Alex woke up at some point, and sat up in bed, not moving at all other than that.

When Jake walked back in the room, he smiled. "Morning, Al. How'd you sleep?"

"Was that a rhetorical question?" Alex questioned groggily.

Jake chuckled a little and sat down on the edge of Alex's bed. "No. I was just trying to get an idea of when you're going to fall asleep again. Maybe at breakfast. Or lunch?"

Alex sighed, and moved to sit next to him. "Maybe both."

"Did you tell your nurse to give you some extra melatonin?"

"No."

"Alex." Jake scolded lightly.

"I forgot. I just... I don't know."

Jake patted Alex's shoulder once, and then stood from the bed to finish is routine.

Kirstie was the first to get her morning medications, and then she was dressed and out of her room to say hi to Avi.

Er... To say hi to Kevin, who just so happened to be roomed with Avi.

Yeah...

Kirstie skipped down the hall and knocked twice on their door.

Kevin opened it and smiled at her, moving out of the way so she could walk in.

He left the door open, as he was required to do, and then went to the bathroom to get dressed for the day.

Avi was laying face first on his bed, unmoving.

Kirstin walked over and laughed a little. "Long day at the office?"

Avi didn't move at all. "Something like that."

Kirstie was worried in an instant, as she quickly walked over to his side and knelt down by the bed, one hand on Avi's back. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just... I miss home, y'know?"

"Yeah... Everyone goes through that after their first week or so. You'll get over it."

"Really?"

"I mean... Some of us do, anyway."

"That's not exactly comforting."

"It wasn't meant to be."

At her snarky reply, Avi sat up and looked at her. "You and I are going to be really good friends. I can see it already."

*********

At breakfast, everyone was quiet.

Nearly silent, save for Mitch whispering to Scott every so often.

Jake rubbed Alex's back while he ate, and Kirstie just sat across from Kevin, speaking to him occasionally.

She and Avi were going through an awkward thing...

She was too afraid to even look at him, scared that she would somehow accidently convey that she liked him a little.

No, she didn't love him. Don't be insane.

She just... Liked him. Maybe.

Just a little.

Avi finally made an effort, whispering because Kirstie was right beside him. "How's your food? Good?"

She was surprised for a second before she answered. "Oh! Um.. Yeah. It's pretty good. You?"

Kirstie turned to him and shook her head quickly. "Wait, I'm sorry. That was a stupid question. You probably don't like talking about food, right?"

"Not really. But that's why I'm here, right? So let's talk. I actually... Haven't eaten much yet. But the vegetables are good."

"Oh! That's good."

"Yeah..."

Kirstie just smiled awkwardly, and then turned back to her food, mentally cursing herself for being embarrassing.

Kevin smiled at them, accidently hearing their conversation.

He tried to help a little. "So, Kit... I don't know if you remember Jeremy? He was in the Blues I think... He got released today."

Kirstie smiled a little. "Oh, how cool! Good for him. I'm glad he got better."

Mitch pouted. "I didn't like him. He made me nervous whenever he was around."

Kevin chuckled. "That's because he was gigantic."

Scott slowly raised his hand, to imply that he too, could be classified as gigantic.

Mitch giggled. "No, no. Not like you. You're like... A giant teddy bear. But he was like a giant, scary, tree that could've squished me if he got too close."

Kevin laughed again. "He was nice, at least. He wouldn't ever squish someone. Anyways... He got out."

Avi raised an eyebrow curiously. "What was he diagnosed with?"

"Depression. Like.. To the point of being a danger to himself."

Avi nodde slowly. "Wow... That's intense."

"You have no idea." Kevin replied with a pointed look to Kirstie that did not go unnoticed by Scott or Avi.

****