Two

Mitch skipped into his room, hoping to see Scott there waiting for him.

Mitch frowned at the empty room, and even checked the bathroom, but Scott wasn't there.

Mitch walked out into the hallway, knowing that usually when this happens, Scott is just in another room hanging out with one of the Reds.

Mitch walked into the room next door, and knocked.

Alex opened the door. "Hey. Mitch, right?"

Mitch nodded. "Is Scott in here with you?"

"He was. A few minutes ago. He left so quietly it was like he completely disappeared."

Mitch frowned, and held up the flower in his hand.

Alex gave him a sympathetic smile. He turned to look at Jake, who was writing something down to remember later. "Jake? I'm gonna go with the little guy to find Scott. I'll meet you in the cafeteria."

Jake nodded, not looking up. "Don't be late."

Alex put his hand on Mitch's back as they walked to the room across from his.

Alex knocked, and knocked again. That is when Kevin answered.

Kevin smiled at him. "Hey, Al. Mitchie."

Mitch held up the flower again, and Alex spoke for him. "Just looking for Scott. Any chance you know where he is?"

Kevin moved out of the doorway so they could both see Scott, and come inside.

Alex walked in first, finally seeing the so called 'newbie'.

Scott was speaking to him, or rather, listening to him talk about himself.

Avi stood when he saw Alex. "New faces. Hey, I'm Avi."

Alex held out a hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Alex."

Mitch ran over to Scott and sat on his lap while he hugged him. "I found you! Thank goodness. I got you this flower."

Scott took it from him and smiled, giving him a grateful nod without saying a word.

Mitch didn't move from Scott's lap, but smiled at Avi, giving him a wave. "Hi! My name is Mitch. What'd you say yours was?"

"Avi. Nice to meet you, Mitch."

Mitch smiled at him. "You have pretty eyes."

Avi blushed a little. "Oh. Thanks.."

Mitch stood from Scott's lap, taking the flower and inserting it into Scott's nicely done hair. It only stayed because of Scott's hairspray.

Mitch then looked around at Avi's stuff, walking closer to the drawer he'd filled with his belongings.

Alex looked back to Avi. "So you're in the Reds?"

"Yes. You too?"

"Actually, no. I'm with the Yellows. That's why I'm roomed with Jake. Ooh... You probably haven't met Jake yet, have you?"

Avi shook his head slowly.

"Don't worry. You will. He makes his way around."

Avi smiled a little, although he was confused by that statement.

Scott, still sitting on the bed, reached past Avi and grabbed Mitch's hand to keep him from opening one of Avi's drawers.

Mitch backed up, but looked at Avi. "Have you met Kitty yet?"

Avi looked to Kevin. "You guys have a cat?"

Scott smiled, while Kevin laughed loudly. "No, no. Her name is Kirstie."

Mitch pouted at him. "Nuh uh. Her name is Kitty."

Alex just shook his head.

Jake knocked on their door. "Alexander? It's time."

Alex knew better than to make someone like Jake wait. He gave Avi one last smile and then walked out.

Avi waited for them to leave before pointing towards the door. "Jake?"

Kevin nodded in affirmation, sitting on the bed beside Scott.

Mitch had wandered back towards Avi's luggage, while they continued to talk.

Kirstie knocked on the door, which was now open, and then smiled at all of them. "Oh, good. You are here. I was looking for you, Scott."

Scott stood up and gave her a concerned look, but she waved it off. "No, no. I'm fine. I just needed to talk to you."

Scott motioned towards the door, but Kirstie shook her head again. "It can wait."

Mitch turned to see her and waved almost obnoxiously. "Hi, Kitty!"

Avi laughed once. "Oh. You're the cat."

Kirstie smiled a little. "I'm the what?"

Avi shook his head, and held his hand out for her to shake. "Nevermind. Hello, I'm Avi. One of the Reds, if you're going to ask."

"I'm Kirstin. Call me Kirstie, Kit, Kitty... Whatever. If it's cute, I'll accept it." She replied with a playful wink.

Scott, silently observing as always, smirked because he knew there was chemistry between them already.

Kirstie gently tapped the flower in Scott's hair. "Cute."

Scott gestured to Mitch, and Kirstie laughed. "Of course. I should have known."

Scott reached over and pulled Mitch away from one of Avi's drawers again.

Kevin shook his head at Mitch, who was now sitting on Scott's lap. "Mitchell, if you want to know something about him, just ask."

Mitch nodded and smiled. "Okay. Avi-Avi. What's your disorder?"

Scott squeezed his arm tightly, eyes wide.

Kirstie just frowned. "Mitchie..."

Avi dismissed it with his hand. "No, it's okay. I mean... You guys are going to find out sooner or later, right? Eating disorder. Anorexia nervosa, if you want the technical term."

Scott frowned at him, feeling bad immediately.

Mitch smiled though. "Oh! No wonder you're so skinny."

Avi forced a smile. "Yeah I guess."

Kevin cleared his throat. "Um. So. We should probably head down to the lunch room. Yellows meet after lunch, and Reds right before dinner. Just so you know. Sometimes they make announcements about meeting for other circumstances... But I'm in your group so don't worry about it. I'll show you."

Avi nodded again. "Okay. Thanks."

Kirstie turned to walk out of the room, Kevin close to her.

Mitch put both hands on Scott's face and kissed his nose, before turning and running to follow the others.

Scott stood up slowly, and gestured for Avi to walk in front of him.

Avi squinted at him a little. "You don't talk? At all?"

"Depends."

"Oh! There you are. I was just curious. And.. You and Mitch are...?"

Scott shook his head though.

Avi slowly started walking out the door. "What? But you guys act like...?"

Scott didn't respond.

"Not boyfriends?"

Scott waited for Avi to turn around, and then he shook his head.

"Just friends?"

Scott nodded. "Best."

Avi turned back around to continue walking, not wanting to pass judgement on his new friend. How weird.

********