Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"This way Hannah." Zeke appeared at the entrance, also attired in a formal dress- suit.

"Come on Tucker, time to leave your fans," Hannah said pulling his arm.

"Okay, I'm coming," he laughed.

"Hannah," called another voice from the crowd.

She turned to give one last wave and immediately saw her father edging toward the front of the crowd.

"Dad," she shouted. She stepped by one security guard and ran past another, straight into his loving embrace. She squeezed him tightly, delighted he was there to see her. She breathed his familiar scent. He smelt of home,

"Dad, I'm so glad you came. Where's Mum?"

"Hannah my lovely," he whispered into her ear, "It's not safe for you to be here. You must leave and go home now."

"Don't worry Dad, they took that man away."

"Hannah, you're not listening to me. It isn't safe for you to go in there tonight, please leave now. Tell them you feel ill, tell them anything; just please don't go in there."

"What's wrong?" she asked. He was scaring her. "Tell me now, what is it?"

"I don't know exactly, but I've heard rumours that something is going to happen here tonight. That a group of rebels is planning something."

"But Zeke would have told me?" she whispered to him.

"There is more than one opposition group Hannah! These ones don't wear white dinner jackets and parade around as a perfect. This group is ruthless Hannah and they won't hesitate to ..."

He couldn't finish the sentence.

"I'll tell them Dad, I'll warn Zeke and Scott that something is about to happen. They can stop it."

"You can't Hannah."

"Of course I can. They can seek these people out and put an end to whatever they have planned."

"Hannah, please just leave. Don't say anything, just leave."

She looked hard at her father. It wasn't just fear for her that he was worried about. Something else was troubling him.

"Dad, what is it, tell me?"

"You can't say anything Hannah, because... because I am up to my neck in this mess and if either side finds out I know something... well it's your Mum, Hannah, I'm scared for her. They can do what they like to me, but your Mum...?"

Hannah jerked out of his arms and felt liked she was staring at a stranger. Where was her calm, peace loving father? Who was this man before her?

"I'm sorry Dad, but I have to say something. People could get hurt; Diana, John, Edward, Tucker. None of them deserve that!"

"They are not your family, Hannah, they didn't raise you!" he shouted at her.

"Maybe not, but this is wrong and I won't let them get hurt. I won't name you as my source, but I'm not going to walk out and leave them to face whatever this is."

"Mr Green, so good of you to turn up and support Hannah on this big night. Everyone of any importance from around the country has arrived to welcome Hannah into the Top-5," he said with a superior, smug tone to his voice.

Hannah and her father turned to face Briggs, who was stood a few feet away from them. He was dressed in a white tuxedo. The pristine white fabric was in sharp contrast to the black silk band around his lean torso and his black bow tie. His black shoes shone brightly, a remnant of his long career in the army.