2. Flying

Dedicated to Sentinelangel because I read her AMAZING book "Beyond the Darkness".

Hope you enjoy it!

(Remember, Ellie is the same age Harry is supposed to be in the books - ie. her birthday is 31st July 1980)

____________________________________________________________

"Lord Voldemort struck down Lily with a high pitched laugh and her scream ended before she even hit the floor. He advanced on the young boy crying in the cot in front of him. Unnoticed, a small girl with half plaited, long red hair whimpered from under the table in the nursery where Lord Voldemort stood. Is was a quiet sob, but loud enough for him to hear. He stopped in his tracks, turning in the direction the noise had come from, and having seen her grabbed her from under the table and pulled her up. He smiled a sly smile at her.

"How poetic. If mummy and daddy are dead, why not make his older sister watch the death of little Harry Potter."

He pointed his wand at Harry and the words of the curse formed on his lips. As he spoke the words to end the little boy's life his sister jumped up in front of the most powerful dark wizard of all time. There was a flash of light, a loud bang, and explosion that caused the whole roof to collapse and..."

Ellie woke up with a start. She was covered in sweat and shivering from the dream. It was 4 years since that night but it still haunted her recently in her sleep. 4 years since she had seen the little brother she had risked her life for, 4 years since her parent left her, 4 years of living at Hogwarts.

She got out of bed and walked over to the window. Her room was at the top of the highest of Hogwarts's towers and she opened the window and dangled her feet out. The view was breath taking, and she could see owls flying high above the forbidden forest and the lake. She closed her eyes as her mother had taught her and lent forward just enough to gently fall out of the window front first. When she opened her eyes again she was flying. Her multicoloured wings flapped either side of her as the picked up the wind currents and soared over Hogwarts School. Her natural ability to turn into a Phoenix still puzzled everyone, and had done since the day she first showed her ability when jumping into her fathers arms when stuck up a tree aged 3.

She relished the opportunity to be free from the bounds of the school as she rose higher and higher in the sky.

Ellie circled the tall towers of the castle and did as she often did when she was in this state - think of her family. Lily Potter had encouraged her daughter to sing from a young age and so Ellie knew lots of songs, although they all brought back memories of the family she used to have. James had given her a little broomstick when she was only 1 and since then she had learned how to fly fantastically, although when flying for pleasure she would morph into a Phoenix instead. And her little baby brother. He would be 5 now. She often wondered how he was, and whether he was having fun living with their aunt and uncle. She had never met them before, she knew her mother had disagreed with her aunt, but she still imagined Harry living in a lovely house, looked after well by a loving aunt and uncle and playing happily with their cousin, Dudley.

She began her decent and soon floated back in through her bedroom window. The moment her feet touched the floor there was a shimmer of gold, and she was human again. She sighed, and got back into bed. She stared at her ceiling, which had the same enchanted roof as in the great hall, and watched the stars in the night sky and the owls still swooping around outside. She closed her eyes and soon fell into a deep sleep.

The next time she woke the sun was steaming through the windows and she could hear birds twittering outside in the trees. She jumped out of bed and pulled on her trousers and a pretty blouse, before brushing her long hair back off her face and running downstairs.