Part 6

September 1542

Hatfield House, Hertfordshire

The day that Robert and his father arrived, Kat received the strangest message. We were sitting in my favorite part of the garden, discussing the properties and medicinal uses of honey and the differences between a wasp and a bee, when Alice, a gardener's wife, almost passed us by while about some task. She stopped abruptly and turned shyly back around to face us. I was watching her and not really listening, which always irritated Kat, so she stopped talking to look at Alice also. Because she was annoyed, she snapped a little at the poor woman, "What is it, Alice?"

"Lady Katherine, I was just wondering if you, by chance, got the message that a man from Hertford Castle come here to see you while you and her majesty were at Pyrgo."

Kat's shoulders relaxed, and her eyebrows wrinkled up as she replied, "No, Alice, I did not receive this message. Who, pray tell, was this man?"

"Mr. William Dunsy, milady. He said that he is a cobbler at Hertford Castle, and the story he did tell...well it was mighty strange, milady. He said that several years back, a lady all veiled in black came to him in the dark of night asking a service. She gave him a box and a letter and said he was to deliver it to Lady Katherine Champernon on the seventh of September, but in the year fifteen hundred and forty-two." Kat and I looked at one another in wonderment as Alice went on. "He was very excited to learn that you lived here but upset that you were not at home. I figured him upset because of the travel and he did not even get to deliver the box personally. But no, he said he could not leave it. He said that he would come back soon to try again." She bit her bottom lip thoughtfully. "Oh yes, and he said that the woman paid him twenty gold pieces to complete the task for her and he has never seen her again, not that he would recognize her since her face was veiled and all, but you get my meaning."

Kat looked over to me. "Well, I must say that is very odd."

"Yes, very odd indeed," I said thoughtfully. "And why would it be so important for it to be delivered on that day? That happens to be my birthday, as you well know. What an interesting coincidence."

Kat raised her eyebrows at me. "Of course, I saw that right away."

"When was this task asked of Mister Dunsy, Alice?" I asked incredulously.

"He did not exactly say, milady. I have told you all I know. Now if it please you, I will get back to my work."

"Yes, yes, of course, and thank you, Alice," I said graciously, because Kat was too involved in her pondering to pay attention to such a politeness.

The plump woman walked away, and after a few moments Kat finally started to talk.

"I feel as if I remember the cobbler at Hertford. I believe he is the very man who made my square-heeled riding boots."

I knew the pair, but did not know where Kat had had them made. "I know that I am observant, Kat, but to remember a pair of your boots? Honestly!"

Kat took one look at my face and knew I was playing with her. "You remember everything, my Lady. I know you would not let a pair of shoes escape your all-seeing eye." She smiled at me as she teased me back, but then her eyes became unfocused as she pondered. She said aloud to herself, "If you do not recall the situation than you must not have been there. Well, that narrows it down a bit. When have I been to Hertford without you?" She continued to think, and her face lit up again, "I have not been without you since I took this charge. I do not think I can recall a single day completely out of your presence."

I had been thinking also and had to agree with her. Since my late nursemaid, Lady Bryan, left to take care of my brother, Edward, Kat had spent almost every moment with me.

"It had to have been over five years ago. I cannot think of a single reason that man, if he is the same one, would have any cause for contacting me—and in such a cryptic way." She squinted her eyes in deep thought for a moment and then shook her head with annoyance. "What a story. Some woman came to him with a gift. Pah! What is he playing at?"

"It could be he is telling the truth." She regarded me with uncertainty and I instantly understood her defensiveness, so I went about reassuring her. "Kat, I do not believe that you asked some poor cobbler to meet you here for a lovers' foray. It would be too elaborate a plan, and what a faithful man to wait five years to come to you." I paused and assessed her face before making light of the situation. "A man such as that does not exist in England, but if you have found one and if he is handsome and not so very poor, I will have to give you my leave to marry him, for I doubt God made two such men."

Kat laughed at me and blushed as she always did when the subject of marriage was introduced. I did not understand why men would not see to it that this sweet lady be married. Kat was nearing forty and had never been asked. There must be some man to do the job. I could find few faults with her, and she possessed, from what I had heard, the greatest asset a man could desire: chastity.

Just then, we heard people talking rather loudly. Turning, we saw John Dudley and his son, presumably, coming up the lawn from the house. I'd had Blanche tell them it was my study time and thus they would have to wait until I was finished to be presented. Obviously, that was not satisfactory, for here they were, traipsing across the grounds to see me.

As they got closer, the first thing I noticed was that Robert had a very playful walk, sort of like he was trying too hard to look like an expert swordsman with slinky gait and sinewy movements. He almost pulled it off.

"He must practice that often," I said quietly to myself.

Kat looked over to me, smiled mischievously, and whispered, "His walk?"

I nodded my head ever so slightly and we both held back smiles.

From this distance, I could not quite see the details of his face. His hat was low and large and distracted my eye. I saw dark brown hair and a smile. He wore fashionable clothes and I thought he might be slightly shorter than me.

A butterfly landed on my shoulder and took my focus away from the approaching men. I carefully watched it flutter its wings about and extend its proboscis, testing my vivid blue dress. As I was about to try and transfer the insect to my finger, a hand gently maneuvered it off my shoulder. Annoyed, I looked up at the intruder.

It was Robert Dudley.

Hat gone, his brown waves of hair framed a symmetrically oval face. A perfectly straight nose blended into a pair of full lips which, as he looked from the butterfly, that was now on his finger, to my face, parted into a gloriously uncrowded smile. His cheeks were still smooth and boyish, and they matched his expression.

When our eyes met, I did not remember how to speak. His eyes...they were glorious. Bright and wise and merry. My breath came faster, and I could not stop myself from blinking foolishly.

As soon as I realized what was happening, blood rushed to my cheeks and I quickly turned toward his father, who was watching me closely. Trying for a bit of composure, I said, "Would you be so kind as to introduce me to your son, Sir John?" It came out quite breathy.

"Yes, of course, my Lady." He cleared his throat formally, "Lady Elizabeth, this is my son, Robert Dudley. Robert, this is Lady Elizabeth." I have no idea how I did it, but I stayed erect as Robert bent and lightly kissed my outstretched hand. I could not say a thing to this boy, for, in this moment, I would sound like a complete idiot.

Thankfully, I did not have to say anything, for he started to talk. "My Lady, you do the roses in this garden an injustice! How are they supposed to carry on with their job of beautifying God's earth when the crown of his creation walks by them daily?" Inspired by my blush and breath, no doubt, he impertinently leaned over and kissed my hand yet again. "Who would look at a rose when Elizabeth is near?"

John laughed. "You see, my Lady? He is a regular riot."

I did not laugh.

I only breathed and wished he would kiss my hand again.