The Project

~~Once at home~~

Hiro's Pov
"I'm back!" I proclaim, dropping my bag and Baymax's portible case.
"Welcome back Hiro!" Aunt Cass happily runs up and hugs me. "How was the sleepover?"
"Great, a lot of fun" I answer, recalling all that happened.
Aunt Cass let me go. "You hungry dear? I prepared some pancakes and bacon." She gestured toward the table.
My stomach growled in reply.
Aunt Cass just laughed, "I guess that's a yes then."
I nod.

As I sat down to eat, Aunt Cass went into the living room and turned on the tv.

The noises' echo through the quiet house, entering the kitchen.

"Thanks Frank for the weather update.

This just in, Prisoner 2301, or Robert Callaghan, escaped early this morning. The way he escaped is still unknown. Police are looking for clues now.
If you see this man, please report it to police immediately.

In other news..."

I stop, mid-bite.
'Callaghan escaped?!' I bang my fists on the table. "Urgh!"

My phone buzzed. I brought it out of my pocket and checked it.
It was a group text.

Hiro, Y/n, did you see the news? ~Honey
Yeah I can't believe Callaghan's free! ~Me
Ikr? ~Fred
How did he escape though? ~Gogo
I don't know, but we'll find out soon. Anyway I got to go guys, ttyl ~Y/n
Bye! ~Everyone

~~Timeskip to Monday~~

Your Pov
It was a brisk, cold day. The wind blew gently against my skin, causing a shiver to run through me.

"You cold Y/n?" Hiro walks beside me, a slight smirk upon his face.
"No! You're just imagining things." I retaliate, lightly pushing him on his chest.
He chuckled for a second before his tone of voice changed, "Y/n I never asked but, when did you fall asleep on Saturday night? "
"I don't remember, 11? Maybe?"
"Huh so not long after the rest of us."
"Yeah, but I wonder why none of us were alerted to the break-in." I play along, hoping to throw him off in case he was suspecting me.
"Right?"

We walk a few more blocks in silence, not sure of what else to say when we finally arrive at the Institute.

We enter our first period, biochemistry, and sit down at our table in the back.

Finally, it starts.

"Alright everyone calm down. First off, we have a new student joining us today. Tony? Come up here please."
The professor announces.

'Tony? I used to know a Tony, but he moved away.' I thought.

A boy I didn't notice before stepped up to the front.

He was about our age, had long, chocolate colored hair, fairly light brown skin, and black, piercing eyes.
He wore a grey t-shirt, jeans, and black converse.

"Everyone, this is Tony Lockheart."

I gasped quietly, making Hiro look over.
"What do you know him?" Hiro whispered.
"Yeah he was my friend back in 3rd grade."
"Oh"

Suddenly, Tony locks eyes with me and smiles.
I return the smile.
He looked over at Hiro, a frown appearing for a quick second before his smile returned.

"Tony you can take your seat now."

He sat at his desk.

"Ok class, now onto the next topic. We are having a class project and I already picked out everyone's partners."

The class groaned.

Ignoring the students the teacher continued, listing on who's with who.

"I hope we're partners, we'd totally kill it." I whispered to Hiro.
"Heh yeah," he agreed.

"Y/n's with Tony"
"Hiro's with Claire"

My heart skipped a beat.
'Hiro and Claire!? Claire's the head cheerleader! I heard she likes Hiro too!! I'll lose him to her forever thanks to this project.' I sigh, 'He'll never like me now.'

Hiro's Pov
'Y/n and Tony. Y/n and Tony.' Those words kept ringing in my head. 'The worst part is she already knows him from way back, even though I've known her longer. Also, what was with that frown he gave me?' I sigh as does Y/n. 'Great, Tony's going to sweep Y/n right off her feet before I have a chance to.'

"So... you and the head cheerleader huh?" Y/n elbows me, pulling me from my thoughts. Her tone sounded a bit sad.
"Apparently, and you're with Tony."
"Yeah... good luck on your project!" She beams.
"You too."
"Y/n! Hiro! Pay attention!" The teacher snaps.

The class snickered and our cheeks grow red from embarrassment.

My eyes fall on the popular cheerleader.
She winks at me.

The rest of the day goes by in a blur, landing us in the "nerd lab."

We were waiting for our partners to show up. The gang was busy at working their stations while Y/n and I talked.

Finally one of them arrives.

My spirits dampen. Tony.

"Hey Y/n. Long time no see." He walks up to us.
"Heheh yeah, how have you been?"
"I'm good, who's this?"
"Oh where are my manners, this is Hiro Hamada, my best friend."
"Nice to meet Hiro."
"Yeah, you too." I look away.
"Ready to work Y/n?"
"Yep, my lab is this way." She lead him away.

Shortly after my partner shows up.
"Hi Hiro," the peppy girl greeted me.
"Hi Claire, ready to get started?" I gave her a fake smile.
She giggled, "Totally."

~~In Hiro's lab~~

I gaze over into Y/n's lab, right next to mine. She was laughing at something Tony said.
I balled my fists, anger rising in me.

'Stay focus, worry about Tony later.'
I turn to see Claire staring at me in a daze.

Claire's Pov
'Yes! Its a good thing my dad works here. He convinced my teacher to put me with Hiro. Pfft... he originally was with Y/n, that ugly girl. I don't know what Hiro sees in that girl. She's just a nerd. At least Hiro's cute.' I thought while walking into Hiro's lab.

"Claire!"
"Yes! Sorry, got distracted."
"Ok... well I have a whole list of what we can do." He starts off. "Do you have a preference?"
"Oh I don't really care, why don't you pick one Hiro?" I sweetly ask.
"Ok, how about we try... bending water but we take it a step further and make water float?"
"Alright, sounds good."