Chapter Twenty-Four

The morphine helped Eddie sleep through the rest of her treatment and into the next day. Jamie spoke with his father later that night and explained he would be staying at the hospital with her until she was able to go home.

"Son, I think it's time for another talk with Joseph," Frank informed Jamie. "When I explained to the kids that they were keeping Eddie in overnight, Joey got angry and shoved Lila off the sofa. It seemed he thought it was her fault that Eddie had to stay in like when she has the flu."

Jamie sighed, "I'll handle it in the morning. Bring them by here to see their Mom before school. She's fine, they just needed to monitor her because of the drugs."

"All right, son," Frank replied. "We'll see you in the morning."

Jamie got comfortable in the big hospital chair and pulled a blanket over him to go to sleep. He laid his head on his own shoulder and got some needed, if not uncomfortable sleep.

Eddie woke up at seven, the morphine having worn off. She saw Jamie asleep in the chair and reached out her hand to pat his knee. He woke up immediately at her touch and reached over to take her hand. "Hey, how you feeling?" he asked softly. "You slept for hours."

"Not bad, my body aches and my stomach, but it's not so bad..." Eddie pushed herself up in bed. "I could use a cup of tea." She hit the call button.

While they waited for the nurse, Frank arrived with Joey and Lila. They both climbed on the bed with their mother, Joey holding tight to Eddie now. He knew that grandpa had told his Daddy what he did and that Jamie would be upset with him. Jamie let Joey cuddle with Eddie for a few minutes then got up and sighed, "Joey, come on and take a walk with me to get oatmeal for everyone before you leave for school."

Eddie urged Joey to go with Jamie, she knew Jamie had to address his hitting Lila, and that it was best man to man. "So, Grandpa said that you got upset with your little sister last night," Jamie replied. "Joseph you know that is not allowed, you know we do not push, hit, kick or anything like that in this family. Please talk to me about this."

"I thought she made Mommy sick. Last time Mommy was in the hospital a whole week and she was really sick cause of Lila getting the flu," Joey replied.

"I know, buddy, I do, but that does not make it okay to push your little sister. Lila could have been hurt, and the Mommy and Daddy would be very upset okay?"

Joey sighed, "Daddy, is Mommy going to get better ever? She has been sick for a very long time... since before football ended."

Jamie smiled, "Mommy really is much better, little man. She's taking medication that makes her get sick, she was in pain yesterday and needed very strong medicine to make it go away. The doctor had to make sure she did okay when he stopped the medicine. That's why she had to stay." Jamie sat down on the bench and put Joey on his lap. "Joey, if you are feeling scared, sad, angry, anything you need to come to Mommy and Daddy, you need to tell us and we can talk and make it feel better."

"I don't understand why it had to be my Mommy that got sick!" Joey suddenly exploded. "I didn't do anything wrong, I prayed, and I prayed but he didn't help me... Mommy is still sick!"

"I know Joey, it's not your fault," Jamie soothed. "It's not your fault, nothing anyone did or didn't do made Mommy sick. It just happened buddy. It just happened." Jamie held Joey close to him and rocked him in his arms. "It just happened, I know you can't understand all of this little man. I know you can't but it's okay. Daddy does understand and anything you need to talk about you can. I won't be mad at you if you do."

Jamie was surprised at how many questions Joey did have. He felt terrible his son had held all this inside. No wonder he was showing his little Reagan temper. Jamie sat on the bench holding his little boy until Frank came down the hall, "He's going to be late, Jamie."