Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Jamie, I don't want to do this," Eddie said for the tenth time since leaving their house. She'd spent a week in bed resting and recovering her strength. The day before she had an appointment with the oncologist and was cleared to be operated on the following Friday. Today, Jamie was driving her up to her father's house in Westchester to tell him about the cancer.

"I know, honey. I do, but you will regret this if you don't do it," Jamie sympathized. "I will be there with you the entire time. When we came to visit last year, he was really nice to you."

Jamie turned the car towards Peter Janko's road. "We tell him and if you want to go right after, we can go. Erin was taking the kids to the zoo today so they won't be home until at least seven."

Eddie nodded and leaned her head against the window. Since her father was released from jail, she only visited him once or twice a year. It was very hard on her, spending time with him, having never gotten over the disappointment his betrayal had caused her. "He's going to act all concerned and upset...but if he really gave a damn about me he'd never have done what he did. It always comes back to that Jamie."

"I know it does, but he is your father. You are sick and he has a right to know. He doesn't have a right to interfere in your treatment plan or force his presence on you if you don't wish it. I will make sure that doesn't happen." Jamie stopped the car and shut off the engine. "You ready?"

"As I'll ever be," Eddie replied getting out of the car. Jamie walked about and put his arm around her, snuggling her to his side as they approach the house.

Peter had not aged well, he walked with a limp, used a cane and looked ten years older than he was. The ravages of prison life. When he opened the door he looked around, "Where are the little ones?"

"We didn't bring them this time, Peter," Jamie replied. "This really isn't a social call." Peter moved back and let them inside. He had tea and cookies set out on the table and two sippy cups for the kids. "I guess I can put these away," he said to himself more than anything else.

"Joey is seven, he doesn't need a sippy cup," Eddie replied quickly before Jamie's look shushed her.

"Well since I never see him," Peter began to argue but Jamie stood up.

"This is not the time for this, Peter I promise in a few weeks I'll bring the kids up to see you if Eddie isn't up to it." Jamie hoped that would spark Peter's attention.

"Why wouldn't you be up to coming see your father, Edit?" he asked sitting down and taking a cookie.

Eddie reached for Jamie's hand, "I can't do this..." she whispered.

"Yes, you can. You handled all of the early stuff on your own, you have always had incredible strength...You can do this." Jamie gave her a kiss and squeezed her hands.

"What is this all about?" Peter asked getting nervous. "Edit, tell me what is going on now."

Eddie took a deep breath and holding tight to Jamie's hand said, "Dad, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am having a mastectomy next week."

Peter's face went white at his daughter's words. "Oh sweet God," he gasped. "Oh, Edit, I am so sorry. Are you going to be all right?"

"Eddie's going to have an operation next week, they're going to remove her breast and the nodes around it then she'll have chemo or radiation or maybe both. I promised her and I will promise you, I will be there with her and for her every step of the way." Jamie kissed the back of Eddie's hand lightly.

"Well I want to help too, whatever you need," Peter said getting up and going to his daughter. "No matter what you think, I love you, Edit. You are my only baby."