Chapter Two

Chapter Two

With Lila in tow, Eddie hit the grocery store, pulled cash from the bank, and went to the football field to collect Joey.

"Hey, how was camp?" she asked the mud covered boy.

"Great, I scored two field goals and we get to play a big game on the last day of camp! You and Daddy can come and Grandpa and my aunts and..."

Eddie laughed, "I'm sure we'll all be there, honey." Eddie made sure he was safe in the car then headed home to start dinner. "Joey, take your shower please. I'll help you with the water in a minute. Lila, please sit on the couch and wait for Mommy."

She knew Jamie would want to handle this together but she never wanted to let major conversations fester or instill fear of Jamie in her children with a "wait until your father gets home."

While Joey cleaned up, Eddie put Lila in her line of vision. "Lila, you cannot keep taking off your clothing in front of strangers or even in the house. The next time you do this without being told to do it, you will sit in time out. This is your warning, do you understand?"

Huge tear filled eyes looked up at Eddie, "Clothes hurt," she replied.

"Lila, I don't understand. Hurt how?"

"Itchy." She mocked scratching.

Eddie sighed, she had switched detergents lately. "All right, get into one of your old nighties. Mommy will wash your clothes so they won't itch. Next time, tell Mommy or Daddy. If you take your clothes off again, without permission, you will go in time out."

Eddie helped Lila change then began the task of washing all of her daughter's clothes. While Joey and Lila watched a DVD Eddie started supper.

When Jamie arrived home, a meal of spaghetti and chicken was nearly ready. Eddie offered Jamie a smile when he came in the door. Jamie loosened his tie and smiled back at her while a chorus of "Daddy!" was heard around the kitchen.

"Joey, how did it go today, Buddy?" Jamie asked tousling his son's hair.

"I scored two field goals," Joey bragged then told his father about the big game. He couldn't wait to play in that game for his family.

"Well, in that case, I will be there for sure," Jamie smiled. "Go wash up for dinner. Help your sister."

Jamie's eyes fell on the pile of wash. "What's all this?"

"Lila's clothes. I think she may be allergic to the new detergent I got so I'm washing the clothes in the old detergent hoping it will stop her career as an exotic dancer in it's tracks."

"I'll help you fold it after we eat," Jamie replied and kissed her cheek. Eddie's arm was still hurting but she ignored it and pushed on, not wanting to say anything to Jamie.

When the dishes were done and the kids were sleeping, Eddie and Jamie folded the laundry. Eddie's arm was still sore, so she finally followed Linda's advice. "Hey, J, can you rub some of that pulled muscle cream into my shoulder and arm. I pulled something working out and it's bugging me."

Jamie's brow knitted with concern, Eddie never complained. He remembered when she gave birth to Joey...

Seven Years Earlier

"Jamie..." Eddie shook her husband's shoulder. "Jamie, wake up...it's time."

"No, it's still dark. I worked a double," he whined putting the pillow over his head.

"Okay, fine I'll just call your brother to drive me to the hospital. My water broke an hour ago."

That got Jamie's attention. He sat up straight in bed, "Are you okay? Let me get a cab...no I'll call a bus..."