“I figured that out already,” he nodded, then turned to her. “You’re pissed because…?”

“Because I just purchased that car a month ago! Do you think these things are covered by insurance? I need to check on it,” she took her bag and rummaged inside. “I need to call and inquire about it—”

Her words were halted by the sudden screech of the car and she might have crashed her head on the dashboard if not for the seatbelt.

“What the hell! Drive carefully, will you?” she cried out. But when she looked at Henry, his face was reading surprise. “What?”

“You’re pissed because your car was blown up?” he asked incredulously.

“Yes, of course. Who wouldn’t be?”

“You’re not pissed you almost got killed? Are you insane?”

“Well, I already figured that one out,” she answered innocently. “But now that you think of it, I think I’m even more pissed.”

“Why?” he asked dryly.

“Because my kidnapper, slash, killer or bomber or whatever, already have two points before I even got the chance to get even. And now they got my car blown up. I really need to find out who this person is fast,” she huffed out.

“You’re something, you know that?” Henry was looking at her more incredulously. “You just realized that’s what we’re supposed to do other than mourning over your car? Unbelievable, just…freaking…don’t bother, I’m still processing how you think, so just…shut up.”

“What’s your problem? I was sitting here quietly just one minute ago and you asked me a question. I answered, and now you’re pissed. Sure, fine, I’ll shut up as long as you keep your opinions about me all to yourself!” she said the last few words with enough emotion that made him glare at her. He started to maneuver the car back on the road.

“Impossible,” she heard him mutter.

“Irresistible, you mean,” she shot back, held up one hand to silence his protest, and turned to her side to glare at the window.

 *****

“Make it quick,” Henry told her when they arrived near Chanty’s house and she opened her side of the car.

“I’ll take my own precious time, thank you,” she said gracefully before slamming the door.

Henry wanted to shout to his lung’s content and let out every infuriating feeling he’d been holding out since he met the lady. He decided against it, suspecting she’d only enjoy torturing him more often if she heard his outburst. He turned off the car’s ignition and watched her make her way across the street towards Chanty’s house.

He also noticed that Philip’s car was already parked outside and his friend was probably inside with his wife. For a moment, his thoughts wandered around Philip’s situation with his transient wife. As his friend’s lawyer, he was the only person who knew of the real reason why his friend went to all the trouble of buying a wife. Maybe Cassandra knew about it now, he was not sure.

Philip had always been controlled by his dad and his family had been bugging him about getting a wife and that was why he finally thought of an outrageous answer to his problem when Cassandra’s father approached him to loan some money. Henry was the one who checked out Cassandra’s background and he was the one who told Philip Cassandra might be the perfect wife. But now, every time he saw his friend, he was not sure which of the couple was suffering more. He never really thought his friend would go as far as what he did, but maybe—as Henry still suspected—his friend was getting attached to his wife. Maybe he should delay getting those divorce papers done just in case his friend changed his mind.