Chapter Twelve

Začať od začiatku

I was completely amused at this point. 'So you-'

'Put a note in your locker, yes. I'm familiar with the story.'

September 2012

'I am so done with biology,' Josh groaned as we traipsed towards our lockers after the aforementioned class, laden down with books and notepads and notes.

'That doesn't even make sense,' I told him. 'Biology is the science of life. Even if you drop the subject you'll have to keep on living it.'

'One hundred percent shut up,' he told me monotonously, shifting the weight of his cargo to one arm so he could work at the combination to his locker while I did the same.

'Hey!' a voice chirped behind us, causing us both to jump and almost drop our things.

I shivered in annoyance as I recognised Rachel's voice. She was some chick who'd just transferred from the local secondary school to Glenstal Abbey because her mom had won like all the money in Europe, but she was annoyingly chirpy. Happy people and I do not mix well, but Josh seemed to like her quite a bit, so I was trying my best. She was nice enough, and tried her best to tone down her general life contentment when she was around me.

'Hey, Rach,' I muttered, finally getting my locker open and groaning as some papers fluttered to the floor. I shouldered my huge haul of books into it roughly and bent to collect the wayward escapees.

'Hi, Rachel,' Josh mumbled shyly, quickly slamming his locker shut before she could see what a mess it was inside.

'Do you guys want to have lunch together?'

Being that it was still the first week, Rachel hadn't managed to acquire too many friends yet, and given that Josh's enthusiasm to be her friend was kind of obvious, she seemed to be falling into the slot happily enough.

'Um,' I said from my place on the floor, where I was looking dubiously at one of the pieces of paper that had fallen. 'Josh, is this some kind of joke?'

'Huh?' Josh knelt down beside me and then after a second, I guess because she didn't want to be the only one standing, Rachel did too.

'Was this you?' I reiterated, as Josh read the note I was holding.

I'm like you.

I like you.

Underneath was was drawn a cartoon-style map of the school grounds, with an X marked behind the pre-fab by the science building.

Josh shook his head perplexedly. 'Wasn't me.'

'Rachel?'

'No. Swear. But, can I just say, that that writing looks like it might be a serial killer.'

'Since when are there gay serial killers?' Josh demanded.

'Actually,' Rachel stated in what I was already beginning to recognise as her self-important voice, 'there are quite a large number of gay serial killers. Jeffrey Dahmer was gay and he killed seventeen people.'

'Owned,' I said mildly to Josh. 'You know us homosexuals can do anything you straight people can do.'

'Whatever,' Josh grumbled. 'Are you gonna go?'

I shrugged.

'You have to go!' Rachel interrupted. 'Imagine how nervous he must have been sending you this note. It could completely destroy him if you don't turn up.'

'But,' I said, about to deliver my winning argument, 'what if he's ugly?'

Rachel stared at me. 'You realise you just single-handedly destroyed my faith in men?'