Prologue

Prologue

I sat in English, tapping my pen agitatedly against my desk and keeping one eye on the clock above Mr Leonard's head. We were studying Macbeth, and I know, I know, it's beautiful wondrous poetry, but it's also boring as hell. I glanced through the window, where I could see the PE class running laps in the soccer field below. I could make out the outline of Conor Archibald jogging beside his best friend and bandmate Sally Evans. Their band, Name Withheld, was kind of a big deal lately, getting signed and starting to work on recording a single. Even now I could hear kids whispering all around me about the upcoming gig this weekend, and several girls were gushing about how hot they thought Conor, the lead singer, was.

I inwardly rolled my eyes. I can't stand Conor Archibald. He's obnoxious and self-centred, and that was before he caught a break in the music world. Now, he's downright insufferable.

Resisting the urge to make a face in response to my own inner thoughts, I dragged my gaze away from the sunny outdoors and back to the clock. Five minutes to go. Come on. My tapping was increasing speed as I became more impatient. Josh smirked at me and reached out to put his hand over my pen.

'You'll break it,' he muttered so Mr Leonard wouldn't hear. 'Plus it's a sign of sexual frustration.'

I scowled and dropped the pen, folding my arms across my chest instead.

'Hey, Tyler,' Rachel said softly from behind me, and I leaned back to glance at her. 'You going to Name Withheld on Saturday?'

I shrugged. 'Unlikely. Why?'

'There's someone I wanted you to meet.' She looked put out. Rachel only transferred to our school at the beginning of this, our fourth year, and immediately hit it off with Josh. When she realised I'm gay – not a hard thing to do, as I've been out since forever – she started trying to set me up with gay kids from her old school, reckoning she was something of a matchmaker. So far, I've refused to even meet up with any of them. 'He's really cute,' she added hopefully.

I laughed. 'Sorry, Rach.'

'You know he's already spoken for,' Josh said, smirking so I wanted to slap him.

'Shut up,' I hissed, genuinely angry, but that only made him happier that he'd succeeded in annoying me and he winked at Rachel in triumph. 'Fuck it. I'll come,' I said, shocking both of them.

The bell finally rang as soon as the words were out of my mouth and I gathered up my books and bolted before either of them could say anything. I shoved my way through the teeming hallway and across the courtyard outside and, with a quick glance over my shoulder, ducked in behind one of the prefabs, which was pushed up against a perimeter wall to form a small enclosed space. There were drinks cans and cigarette butts scattered on the ground, and I put my school bag down against the wall of the prefab and leaned against it with my arms crossed.

Moments later, another school bag landed beside it, and Conor Archibald crashed his lips to mine.

'I've missed you,' he whispered huskily in my ear before biting down gently on my earlobe.