Part Nineteen

"Harry?"

Zayn pat his cheek softly to wake him up; his voice was full of worry. Harry exerted himself to open his eyes again. Neither Taylor nor Louis was in the room anymore. Zayn's face was inches away from his, but Harry could barely see him.

"We have to leave here." Zayn whispered to him. Harry's heart fell when he heard the sob in his voice. "Kalisha can heal you. This must be so easy to her. You will be fine."

"I will die before we reach there." Harry breathed difficultly, "Look, Zayn –"

"Stop!" Zayn supported him up and leaned him against the table. "Don't ever say that again. Nothing bad is gonna happen. You will be cured, all right? Stop saying ridiculous things!"

Harry seized Zayn's forearm with his pale knuckles, "You don't understand, Zayn. It wouldn't be that easy to break Taylor's curse. Even Kalisha couldn't make the antidote on time. I just wish that –"

"Yes." Zayn suddenly composed his voice. "Yes. You're right, Kalisha can't. But I can."

Harry's heart started racing again; he cried out a dry sound when he saw Zayn reach his hand into his collars. "No." Harry begged; his fingers around Zayn's arm shuddered, "No. No. No. Zayn, don't do this. Don't do this."

Zayn ignored his pleading, putting the tiny bottle in his palm. He brushed Harry's damp fringe and left a kiss on his temple, "It's all right. There's nothing in this world that this potion can't heal."

"But you will lose all your power!" Harry cried, "You will never be a witch anymore!"

"I don't care." Zayn kept his words calm, but Harry could still hear the tremble in his voice.

"Don't do this for me." Harry whimpered, grabbing Zayn's wrist to keep him from opening the bottle. "Don't do this to me. Please. It's not worthy."

"There's nothing else worthier than this!" Zayn exclaimed, swinging Harry's hand away. "I can still do all the study I want. It doesn't matter whether I can use witchcraft or not. And I will finally learn how to not be a smug."

"That's not funny!" Harry yelled back, "No! I won't allow this to happen!"

He swiped Zayn's hand abruptly as Zayn put his fingers on the cork. The tiny bottle was flung away and smashed onto the ground with an ironic crack. Zayn gaped at him in shock, wailing out loud from the breakdown.

"What the fuck, Harry!" He shook Harry's shoulders with a desperate howl, "Why they fuck are you doing this? That was your last hope! Why would you do that?"

"Listen to me, Zayn." Harry urged. He didn't know how much time he had left. "You are one of the greatest witches I've ever met. It's not just all about your power and intelligence..." He pulled Zayn's face closer, letting Zayn drop his tears onto his chest. "You've taught me more things that I've ever learnt from the past of my life. And – for the first time, you made me believe I could actually be a witch."

His voice weakened, but he forced himself to finish his sentence. "Look, I want you to go back to the house and tell everybody what happened. I want you to stay in the coven... That sounds selfish, but please do this for me. You will bring the coven to a better future. I've always known you can do this ever since you stepped into this house."

Zayn didn't answer, keeping sobbing to Harry's neck.

"Please tell my family how much I love them." Harry mumbled, "Yes, my grandmother too. And Caroline. It was her who brought you to my life."

"I can't." Zayn wept, holding Harry with his shaking hands. "I don't know what to do, Harry. I don't know. I can't do this."

"You can do this." Harry didn't know why, but he started to chuckle. "That's so weird. It has always been you who's telling me that."

"I can't do this." Zayn repeated, "Please. I don't know what to do without you. Don't leave me here, Harry."

"I'm sorry." Harry lowered his eyelashes. Zayn had almost disappeared from his vision.

For a moment Zayn couldn't utter any other word, embracing Harry as he cried to his chest. Harry didn't even know if his consciousness was there. He felt so dazed and hazy. Zayn's voice was so close to him.

"At least let me kiss you." His voice came from somewhere below Harry's chin, "For the last time. Can I?"

Harry shut his eyelids, "Yes." He wheezed vaguely and added, "Please."

So Zayn leaned in, sealing Harry's lips tenderly with his palm cupping under Harry's chin. Harry really wanted to lock his hand around Zayn's nape or at least looked at his face before he could no more inhale again. But his mind was lost in turmoil as Zayn moved deeper, craving for one more second to hold Harry's soul in his arms. Harry complied with his eagerness, pecking Zayn's lips in case he was going to lose them. There was only one simple thought left in his mind. If he's never going to open his eyes again, at least he could let Zayn take his last breath.

A strange feeling coped Harry's entire body. A bizarre, rare, even exotic feeling was running through his veins that seemed as if the pain in his body had washed away. Harry wondered, maybe that's how it felt when his life was drifting away. That wasn't too bad, actually. As if he was breathing again. As if he was alive again.

He opened his eyes slowly, and he saw that Zayn was looking at him as well. He probably had sense the changing on Harry too. They both looked at each other confusedly. Harry was breathing regularly, and his voice wasn't trembling anymore.

"What happened...?" He blinked his eyes, moving his hands hesitantly.

"I have no idea." Zayn's mouth half opened, "Are you all right? How do you feel?"

"Strange." Harry stared at his nails, "and...I don't know, new? I just...I feel like I'm in a complete different body."

Silence fell between two of them. Zayn lifted Harry's hand up, pinching his palm with his thumb. And then he mumbled, "Ten of Swords."

Harry gasped.

He forgot another meaning of it.

"Rebirth." Zayn answered for him.

Harry's voice tightened, "This doesn't make sense at all? How come it just –" He swung his arm abruptly. The bottles on the floor bounced to the ceiling and crashed against the wall.

Harry put down his hand immediately and stuttered. "What the –" He exclaimed, "Was-was that because of me?"

"I think it was." Zayn exhaled, facing at Harry with a mixture of surprise, confusion and relief. "Harry?"

"I...I don't understand anything." Harry muttered, trying to figure the situation out but Zayn pulled him in, leaving more kisses on his ears and neck.

"Well, in my words, I will say Mother Nature has finally responded to you."

Harry chuckled, feeling ridiculous. "But how?"

"I guess," Zayn whispered before pressing on his lips again, "That's so-called magic."