Chapter Twenty-Two - Winter break comes early

I slide down the door and tears form in my eyes.

What have I become?

I've turned into a slut like many of the girls at my school I've never wanted to become.

I run my hand through my damp hair and lean over to grab my phone from my purse.

I have two missed calls from Alex.

I ring him back

"Tori... what happened tonight?" he says as he answers

"It's Charlotte being a bitch" I say "she hates me"

"I heard the boys took you home. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I guess so. There's just one slight problem" I say

"What is it?" he says "is there anything I can do to help?"

"Not really..." I say and I tell him everything that just happened

"No fucking way!" he says "that's awful. What did he say when you went after him?"

"I explained how I feel and he totally dismissed it."

"Right... do you need me to come over?"

"No, I'm fine. Honestly. You spend your night with Kayla. She deserves it"

"Yeah... about that..." he sounds nervous

"What? What is it?"

"Well, I didn't want to tell you because you seemed like you have a lot on lately and I didn't want to burden you further... but, Kayla and I are on a break. I mean, she told me about her night with Jack Corby at the lake house and I guess I mentioned that I slept with Steph Williams at that same party... we've been trying to act normal around you so you don't really suspect anything, but I guess it's time to tell you"

"Oh... I see. Well, I hope you're okay" I say "but didn't you to go to the dance together?"

"Yeah... I mean, we had decided to go before we went on a break, so we continued to have that plan."

"But how are you getting on with it all?"

"I'm dealing with it I guess. It's kind of hard for me to accept, but I will eventually" he says "I mean, we're only on a break. It's not like we've actually broken up"

"Oh, I'm sorry though. You two made a good couple. But I guess things aren't always what they seem. I'm sorry for ignoring you both. This isn't like me. I've become some kind of... some kind of... whore"

"No, don't say that... you're not a whore. You've just changed a little. It's no big deal. I mean, you're not the same person, but that's okay"

"Right..."

We talk for a while longer and then we hang up and I ring Kayla.

"Hey girl" she says "sorry about what Charlotte did to you. She's a bitch"

"It's fine. I'm more worried about you. How are you coping?" I ask "Alex told me what's going on"

"It's nothing big. I guess things are changing for us and it's not like we've actually broken up. We're just taking a break" she says

"That's just like saying that you're eventually going to break up. I'm sorry for not seeing it and being there for you"

"It's okay. You've had so much more on lately that we didn't want to put this on you too."