Ready Set Roll

Annabeth and I decided to get ready for the fundraiser together, starting with getting our hair done at Fancies in the morning. Because so many people in Hollis are attending the fundraiser, the salon is busy and buzzing with excitement. I catch Margot sitting under a heater with her nose in a magazine so I don't bother to say hi to her. My stylist, Franny, sits me in a chair and I notice LulaBelle is placed on my right and Georgina Draper is seated on my left. I quite possibly have managed to snag the worst chair in the salon. Despite me having a book in my hand, LulaBelle's eyes widen with excitement when she sees me and she immediately begins babbling on about everything the Anders donated to the auction.

"And of course, since I have a little bun in the oven, I thought it was best to stay out of the auction myself. Although I'm sure Garrett would have bid on me just to donate even more to the Historical Society," she says with an obnoxious smile. Franny overhears her and replies, "It's no fun for married people to be in the auction anyway. How lame is it to have your husband bid on you because everyone else knows you're unavailable- that's no fun." LulaBelle's smile disappears for a nanosecond but then Georgina pipes in, "I think the auction is a bit sexist and I can't believe that's what Poppy came up with. That fact that so many women are eager to be bid on shows us a bit how backward we all still are."

"I think it was a way to get the young folk to participate in raising money. Sex sells right?" I say back and LulaBelle is quickly beaming again and looking at me.

"Are you participating in the auction Sawyer? Or are you still with Austin's friend? Or no wait, I'm sorry you were with Tate Samuel's last, right? It's so hard to keep up with your dating life since you and Jackson." I give her an obnoxious fake smile and reply, "Tate and I were never serious, just friends really. But yes, I am participating in the auction." Georgina leans slightly forward and says, "Ya know, I helped Poppy put together the final RSVP list and I must say Sawyer, you have hopeful bachelors from all three towns. You are one hot commodity my dear." I catch LulaBelle swallow hard and she probably just threw up a bit of jealousy into her mouth. I glance to Georgina and reply, "Well hopefully I'll just raise some money to restore the Wellington House."

"You know Sawyer, I'm surprised you don't serve on the historical committee, seeing how involved the Sweeneys were with the Civil War." Georgina asks me and LulaBelle interjects, "Her mother writes a gracious check every year. I'm sure that's plenty involvement for the Sweeneys." I can't help but try to tame my competitive side when I'm around LulaBelle but she makes it damn near impossible. She makes my chest tight and for some reason, I have to be better than her at everything she finds important. I look to Georgina and reply, "You know, since I'm no longer living so far away at the Hemmings, maybe I will ask for a seat on the committee. I was also thinking about joining the event planning committee and seeing if I could run Founder's Day next year." I watch as LulaBelle's head almost explodes and she spasms so hard her stylist gets a brush stuck in her hair.

"I'm planning Founder's Day next year Sawyer. The committee already put me in charge." I fake sympathy and with a phony frown reply, "Oh but LulaBelle, you'll be a new mother and I'm sure you'll have your hands full with your new baby." I add. "Also, I'm best friends with Gus Blackwood and his mother is president of the committee, so I'm sure she wouldn't mind me taking over. She knows I'd do a fabulous job." Everyone in Hollis knows the Blackwoods adore me and most people know about Gus's massive crush. I'm sure LulaBelle knows I could easily take over her position. I've gone from not wanting a thing to do with high society events to threatening to commit myself to two different committees in under an hour. I really shouldn't sit next to LulaBelle often or next thing I know, I'll be running debutante classes and heading up the D.A.R.

I glance to Annabeth who is seated at the opposite side of the salon and she is excitedly talking about something, waving her arms around and making her stylist laugh. Georgina watches as the last pin is placed into her neat updo and she kisses my cheek before leaving. LulaBelle is done shortly after, but she looks pale as she leaves her chair. I'm sure she is panicking and will pounce on Mrs. Blackwood tonight at the auction. I'll have to send some sort of apology to Mrs. Blackwood since my actions are going to give her a major headache.

"There you are, Ms. Sweeney. What do you think?" Franny asks me as she spins my chair around while I glance in a hand mirror. She's done a fantastic job, pinning all of my long blonde hair to the side in a fancy bun. She's left a few tendrils out to frame my face and I know it's going to look chic with my dress. I smile to her, "I love it. It's beautiful thank you so much!" She hands me off to Kyra, the best make-up artist in Hollis and she gets to work on my face. Annabeth is soon in the chair next to me and her hair is now in a sleek bun with her hair slightly poufed in the front. She asks for a seductive smokey eye and my stomach flips at the thought of Gus finding Annabeth sexy. I guess that's what eventually happens when people date, but I had never thought of those two rounding third base and sprinting into home. Will I be able to stomach the details of their romantic life? They both have always filled me in with generous detail before, so I wonder how they will deal with it now. I hope they don't make me play middle man and ask me what they say about each other. My loyalty is equal to both of them so it will be hard to dish the details to either of them.

Annabeth derails my train of thought when she asks, "So Sawyer, is there anyone in particular, you are hopin' bids on you tonight?" I look to her as Ryan flashes across my mind but I give her a different answer.

"Not really, I would hate to get my hopes up ya know?"

"I hear Theo Rigsby is coming. He would probably get the highest bid if girls were bidding on guys," Kyra says and Annabeth replies, "I think Wesley Goodwin is coming too. I think it would have actually been more fun for the women to bid on the men. You know they'd pull in good money."

"You know gentlemen write the checks darlin'. It wouldn't be proper for ladies to be shelling out money," Kyra replies back and both Annabeth and I nod. I probably would be way too shy to bid on any men unless it were Tate or Gus anyway.

After we both look like elegant ladies of high society, Annabeth and I make our way back to my house to slip into our dresses. Celia helps us to suck in all the right ways to get our dresses zipped and she hands us a glass of champagne when we are officially put together. I glance to Annabeth and understand why these events can be entertaining. It was fun to get dolled up for a party with my best friend. She isn't usually invited to events hosted by certain clubs, so I am glad that this event was open to everyone.

My mother's face lights up when she saunters into my room and I see tears twinkling in her bright blue eyes.

"You two are just...stunning." I haven't said much to my mother since Ryan and Austin left and she's been smart to give me some space. She's also dressed for the fundraiser in a modest black-beaded dress and her hair is pulled into her signature French twist. Her finest diamonds adorn her neck and wrists and she hands me a necklace box.

"I thought this might look nice with your dress," she says. I flip the lid to the box open and a stunning diamond choker sits inside. There is a long diamond chain that hangs off the clasp so it ends in the middle of my back. I had no idea my mother even owned such a sultry piece of jewelry. She looks to me and says, "Now Sawyer, so help me you better watch your alcohol intake tonight and keep a distance from trouble. I don't want any scandals!" Her eyes then dart to Annabeth and Annabeth shrinks behind me. Clearly, the wine snatching incident is not forgotten.

I nod to her and joke, "No promises," as she fastens the necklace around my neck. Celia also hands her a small glass of champagne and we all toast to the fundraiser. My father comes around the corner looking dashing in a black tuxedo and I haven't seen him since he got back from his trip to Texas.

"Sawyer, my dear girl. You look beautiful." He opens his arms for me and I give him a tight squeeze. He's hardly around since he travels year-round for his jobs and hobbies so when he is at home, I try and spend as much time with him as possible.

"The town car is here so if y'all are ready," Celia announces from the doorway and I watch as my father drapes my mother's arm over his. Annabeth and I link arms and follow them down to the car.

We are ready to party.