My Tears Ricochet

My tears start all over as soon as I fall into Gus's outstretched arms. I found him cleaning up his breakfast mess in the kitchen and he welcomed me with open arms. He sways while holding onto me and I continue to cry into his thick flannel shirt. I finally pull away from his soaked chest and his boyish brown eyes look to me worriedly. 

"I thought it would be a happy return back to Hollis my sweets," Gus says gently, like he's soothing an upset toddler. I shake my head and he plucks a tissue from a box on his counter. I wipe my face as he pulls out a kitchen chair for me to drop into. When my face is dry, I look to him and say, "Nothing makes sense now Gus. My whole life I thought my main goal was to get married to a handsome wealthy guy and spend my time lounging around and hosting cocktail parties for my friends."

"And that's bad?" Gus asks me and I look to him, "Gus, you are from a founding family and you have a job. You have more goals than to find a wife that knows what wine to pair with what meats right?"

He gives me a small smile and replies, "Yeah, that I do."

I take a deep breath and say, "After Jackson cheated on me, I was kind of lost. I saw my whole life flush down the toilet. And then I was consumed with revenge on Whitney and now that it's over, I don't know what to do with myself. When I was staying at the Hemming house, I kind of saw into Mrs. Hemming's life and I realized I didn't want that. I want to be more than a wife."

Gus nods, "You've never seemed like a girl that would handle sittin' still well."

"My mother wants me to settle down. She wants me to start running a household and start participating in society events but I can't do that." Gus leans against the counter and folds his arms across his chest. His curls get caught in his eyelashes and he flicks his head to free them.

"Or do you mean you can't do that with Ryan?" I'm surprised to hear Gus use Ryan's real name and look to him in silence. He continues, "Sawyer I see the way you light up around him. And he's not your typical Hollis guy neither. He gots a job and an entire life outside this town. I'm sure he dates girls for more than a few months before marrying 'em and I'm also sure your family tree doesn't entice him." I look to him and realize that is a huge reason why I like Ryan- he's a whole new adventure that doesn't take place in Hollis. Gus takes a step towards me and says, "I also think Jackson was safe and everything your mama wanted. And when you went down the right path, it blew up right in your pretty face. I get your hesitation to do it again darlin'." I bite my lip as I nod along to Gus's surprising words of wisdom. I look to him and say, "Have I ever told you you're the smartest guy I know."

He smiles, "You and everyone else in this town." I laugh and he unfolds his arms. He crosses the kitchen and plops into a chair next to me, "My sweets, do whatever you want. You want to stay here and be a Belle in Hollis do that. If you want to run off with pretty boy do that. It will be your decision you gotta live with."

I find his kind eyes and ask, "What do you want Gus? Did you want to get into the lumber business like every other Blackwood?"

He nods, "Yes ma'am. I enjoy working for my pops. We got that old money but we like the hard work. Getting my hands dirty and all that."

I smile, "And what about a wife? Do you want a wife that cooks you dinner and has fancy tea parties?" Gus overenthusiastically nods his head.

"Hells yes sugar! After a long ol' day of work, I get to come home to someone who loves me and eat a delicious meal she slaved over. She can enjoy the Blackwood money as long as she's a good woman with a good heart and a good head on her shoulders."

I can't help but laugh, "You are a simple man Gus." I look to him and ask him a question that's been on the back of my mind for years, "Hey, I have to ask you, how come you've never gone for Annabeth? You know she'd die to marry into a founding family and she's definitely housewife material." He leans back into his wooden chair as he says, "You Sweeneys are the problem. She's always been pining for Austin while I've always been pining for you." I blush at his honest words and move my gaze away from him, "Don't worry Sawyer, I know you've always just seen me as a friend. But I'd rather have you in my life as a friend than nothin' at all." I look back to him with my cheeks still red and reply, "And I'm sure I'm missing an opportunity to be with a great guy. But I'll be honest Gus, Annabeth hasn't a chance in hell to settle down with Austin. You should consider it." He doesn't say anything, he just nods. I do think they'd get along well once they stop being infatuated with the wrong people.

I breathe out another calming breath and push myself up and out of my chair.

"Well, thanks for listening to me cry over my spoiled life Gus. I know I'm the last person that should be crying over the harsh words of her mother."

"Yeah you brat, now get back on over to your castle before I actually start feeling sorry for your entitled behind." We both laugh and before I step out the front door, Gus looks to my bare feet.

"Girl you come in here all Pocahontas like? Where's your shoes you hobo?" I look down to my dirt-covered feet and look back to Gus, "I'm a mess Gus, I told you." He shakes his head as he pulls a pair of fur-lined moccasins out of his coat closet. He drops them by my feet and says, "These are perfect for Pocahontas." I slide my feet into the too-big slippers and smile to him as I awkwardly walk out of the house.

When I make my way back to my front door, I slip out of the moccasins and then trot up to Ryan's room. I knock on his door but he doesn't answer. I see Celia coming out of Austin's room with his sheets bundled into a basket. When she spots me in front of Ryan's room she says, "They went out Sawyer. Him and Austin had to go to work they said."

I smile to her, "Oh, thanks for letting me know." I spin around to head back to my room. I quickly shower and change before heading down to the boutiques to find a dress for this afternoon.