Chapter 2

Annie surfaced from the water, gasping for air as she finished her last lap.  She was a good free style sprinter but what she loved was diving.

"Annie!" Coach Lenner called, "You've got a visitor."

Annie stood up in her lane and pulled her goggles off, looking toward the entrance to the pool.  Luke stood their in a pair of khaki pants and button down shirt, looking totally out of place.

Annie threw a glance to the other end of the pool where Brent stood, chatting with a couple of other team members.  He was watching her and Luke suspiciously.

Annie pulled herself from the pool and reached for her towel before padding over to Luke.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

Luke grinned.  "Hi to you too."

Annie wasn't amused.  She waited.

"I came to see if you wanted to ride over the high school with me."

"Oh."  Annie wasn't expecting that.  "Uh, yeah, sure.  I've gotta shower and change."

Luke nodded.  "I'll be outside."

Annie watched him go and then hurried back to the bench to retrieve her things.  Brent met her there.

"Who was that?"

"That was Leonard Dukes - my partner for the Greek Project."

"Isn't he the LVU quaterback?"

Annie nodded.

Brent's brow drew together and his lips pinched.  He obviously wasn't happy with the situation.  "What's he doing here?"

"He offered me a ride to the high school."

"How did he know where to find you?  Did you accept?"

Annie inwardly groaned.  Brent was jealous over nothing.  "I don't know and yes.  I've gotta go Brent or we'll be late.  I'll find you later."

The look on Brent's face as she hurried away said he was not a happy camper. 

* * * * * * * * *

Luke was sitting on the steps at the entrance to the Field House when Annie emerged twenty minutes later.  He looked up when he heard her shoes clicking against the tile floor.  She wore a tan corduroy skirt that fell just above her knees and brown cowboy boots.

Make that cowgirl boots, he corrected himself with a smirk.

A light blue camisole with brown edging rounded out the ensemble and Luke was struck by how feminine she looked.  She looked like a girl.  His memories of Annie had always been of the little girl with the ponytail and mud on her jeans.  Just one of the guys.

He didn't realize he was staring until she paused mid-stride, asking, "What?"

She glanced down at herself to see if something was amiss.

Luke looked away, hopping to his feet, hoping she didn't pick up on his embarrassment.  "Nothing.  You look nice."

He caught the quirky look on her face before she started toward him again.  He simply motioned her out the door, deciding to keep his mouth shut.

The September evening was still warm and the Jeep lacked its hardtop to let in the sunshine.

"Nice wheels." Annie commented, tossing her bag into the back.

"Thanks."  He waited for her to climb in before starting the engine.  "So, the swim team, huh?  I never realized you were into that."

Annie glanced at him as he pulled from the parking lot.  "I was on the swim team back home every summer since seventh grade.  There's a lot of things you probably never realized."