Chapter Seven: Casual Dinner

As I stepped into the living room, I was greeted by a chorus of warm hellos.

"Hey Rena, hey Cal." I said with a smile. Almost immediately, I spotted the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies on the coffee table. It was calling to me, I could almost taste it on my tongue. I reached my hand out towards it.

All of a sudden, there was a chocolate chip cookie in my hand. I froze mid-step. "Whoa, what was that?"

"Tally, how did you do that?" Gavin asked in wonder.

"I-I don't know." I said as I continued to stare at the cookie in my hand. "I was just thinking about how much I wanted that cookie, and I kept chanting, 'come to me cookie.' Then all of a sudden it appeared in my hand."

"Gavin, you try to do it." Cal suggested.

"Um okay. So I just keep chanting for it to come to me?" He asked me.

"I guess, that's what I did."

"Okay." He stood there and reached his hand out like I did and concentrated on the cookie.

I took a bite of the cookie and involuntarily moaned softly. "Rena, these are amazing.

"Here have this one too." Gavin offered, "It worked, it just appeared in my hand."

I smiled widely and said, "Thanks Gavin," eyeing the cookie. I swiftly grabbed it and walked to the couch.

"I wonder what the distance range is for that power."

"Let's try it now!" Gavin said excitedly.

"Woah, slow it down. Can we have dinner first?" Rena said, laughing. "You are all like a whole bunch of little kids. Gavin, come help me set up the dinner table."

"I'll help you Rena," I offered, jumping up from the couch.

"No, no, no. You stay seated." She turned to Cal, "Keep her company. Gavin, now."

He sighed as he pushed himself off of the couch. "Coming." He called as he walked after her.

I turned to face Cal as he asked me, "How are you holding up with all this?"

"It's different...but a good different."

He nodded, seeming to understand. "What other powers have you discovered so far?"

"Um, I can heal injuries, but I don't know on how big a scale."

"Make sure you tell me everytime you discover a new power." He said, gripping my knee tightly.

"Uh, okay." He seems a little overly concerned about this, but it felt pretty good to have a father figure in my life.

"Guys! Dinner's ready, wash your hands and come!!" Rena called from the kitchen.

"Coming honey!" Cal called back. "Better head over," he said to me, all the intensity in his eyes gone.

We walked to the kitchen table together and I sat down next to Gavin. "Smells good Rena!"

"Thanks," she said with a warm smile. "Don't be shy, dig in!"

I grinned and was about to get some chicken when I had a better idea. I willed the chicken onto my plate. I laughed with joy, and said, "This is so fun!" I kept willing the chicken to plates and served it to Rena. Gavin willed chicken to his dads plate.

She laughed and said, "Thank you. Keep in mind, don't do this at school!"

"Do you guys have any plans for the rest of the school year?"