Chapter Six: Turtle Friends

"Hey." I greeted.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Uhh, nothing...I just dropped by to make sure everything was okay, since you didn't show up to school today."

He pulled his laptop out, "Why wouldn't I be alright?"

I stood in silence, not knowing what to say. "Alright then, I'll be on my way then." I started walking towards the door when he said, "Wait."

"Sorry, I snapped at you. I don't know what's gotten in me today. It's like I'm on a man period." He said jokingly.

I snorted, and immediately covered my nose, horrified that I had made such a sound.

He chuckled at my horrified face. "Yea, so what'd I miss in class today?"

"We talked a bit more about the Civil War, and we got a handout in math. Mr. Dellus said you can drop by tomorrow and grab it." I informed him.

He nodded and said, "Perfect." He typed in the password to his laptop, and was about to open a file, when he realized I was standing right behind him. "Is there anything else you wanted?" He said a bit too harshly in my opinion.

"Uh, no."

"Well, then see you tomorrow." He said boredly, turning back to face his computer. He didn't make a move to open the file. I walked towards the door, and said, "Bye Gavi."

He nodded.

I closed his door quietly, not wanting to make it bang. I descended down their stairs and yelled, "Bye Rena! I love your cookies!!"

She laughed, and replied, "Bye Tally."

As soon as I walked out their door, I sighed, "What's with Gavin?" I muttered to myself as I walked home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slid into the seat next to Gavin in History and pulled out my binder. "Hey."

"Hi."

I frowned, was he going to keep acting like this? Whatever this is? I sighed loudly and turned to face the Smartboard. I listened to Mr. Bels drone on and on about the Civil War. Are we ever going to finish learning about this? I sighed again.

"Ms. Upal, please, stop sighing every 2 minutes. It's irritating."

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't realize it was against the rules to sigh every two minutes. I like sighing. Got a problem?" I countered, and sighed really loudly.

Mr. Bels face darkened, "Ms. iPad, this is the second warning."

"What for? Sighing?"

"No, talking back."

I could feel Gavin's eyes burning a hole through my shirt. I turned and glared at him, "What do you want?"

He shrugged and faced the front.

I sighed. It was hard to keep up this facade. I was not used to being the bad girl in the class. I was almost always the good girl who never talked back, or skipped class.

The rest of class flew by quickly and when the bell finally rang, I was the first one out of there.

"Hey! Tally!"

I slowed, but didn't stop. Behind me, I heard him pushing past the crowd of students rushing to the cafeteria. Feeling bad, I stepped to the side and patiently waited for him to catch up.

"Hey." He said awkwardly.

I didn't respond.

"Um, my mom's asking you to come over for dinner tonight."

I hesitate, Rena asked? Well I've been really craving her cookies... Just thinking about them made my mouth water.

"Earth to Tally?" Gavin said as he snapped his fingers in front of my face."

"Yeah, I'll be there."

"Kay cool, see you at 6 then." He said, patting my shoulder.

I shied away from his touch, and he winced. "Sorry... It's just..."

"It's fine," he interrupted, "I have to go anyway, bye!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stood on his porch, finger poised. I've been standing there for 5 minutes now. Thinking about chocolate marshmallows and unicorns. And how awkward this dinner would be. I sighed, and just gave in. The doorbell rang, and I swear Gavin was standing behind that door for as long as I was standing on his porch. The door swung open instantaneously and I was greeted by a bear hug. Well isn't someone all chummy chummy today.

"You're finally here!!! We've been waiting for you! Dinners all ready." Gavin said in a falsetto.

I couldn't help but laugh, he sounded really ridiculous.

He rolled his eyes and leaned down to whisper, "That's what my mom made me rehearse. She said I needed to make you feel welcome."

I shook my head, "And you actually listened?! I'm ashamed my turtle friend."

He raised his eyebrows, "Turtle?..."

"Yea, deal." We stood there for another good five minutes before I said, "Well... Aren't you going to let me in?..."

He flushed, "Yea sorry come on in."

I sighed as I stepped into the house, this is going to be a really long night.