Chapter 43 - Fate

Start from the beginning

"My mother doesn't like swearing either actually ...or name calling...or innuendoes" Elli chimed in.

"Oh,' Talon smiled at Elli " I love this one too. There is no end to the ways in which nice things are nicer than nasty ones."  Charlene screwing up all of her courage decided to make a dash through the door, unfortunately a hand latched on to her arm after about three wavering steps. It held strong and insistent but also tenderly until she bit her lip and chanced a peek up.

 She never realized how gorgeous that face was especially now as it looked at her with unexpected gentleness. She felt the taste of shame in her throat, her voice stuck in her throat and she had to repeatedly work her tongue around to talk. "I'm sorry." Even to her ears it sounded ...acid.

"I'm not saying it's alright Charlene, because it's not. I will not ever hear you talk to me or Elliada like that again. Is that clear?" Charlene nodded. She felt snakes writhing in her stomach just looking at the face in front of her. Like she had deliberately stuck a pin in a figure of an angel at her mother's church.

   "Why?' she stammered

  "why what?'

 "Why are you ..."she viewed herself in the mirror, fascinated as her mascara made dark streak down her cheeks. "I'm so sorry.' And this time she meant it, she closed her eyes sending more black tears cascading down her face. Two pairs of arms encircled her, she sobbed into soft beautiful smelling skin that she could only dream of.

  "I'm sorry, I don't even know who I am any more. I mean, look at me" she wiped the tear trails away with the back of her hand "...I'm trying to be you; Talon. I'm horrible and nasty and no one loves me. I sleep with men thinking hoping they'll fall in love with me and all they do is run. I have no friends. Why doesn't anybody love me?"

 Suddenly the door banged open and Cardens' head poked through, his face dark with concern. When his eyes lightened on Charlene, he made a hasty retreat. The girls went to the couch in the outer room and sat holding Charlene's hands.

"Do you have any family?' Talon passed her a wad of toilet paper.

"Only one that's any good...but whether she'll talk to me? I...I s-s-slept with her boyfriend when we were younger just to prove I was prettier than her. How could she ever forgive me?" She stammered, staring at the smudged paper in her trembling hands.

"Only one way to find out." Talon pulled her phone out of her bag. "Do you know her number?'  

Charlene nodded, "She hasn't moved".

 "Are you sure?" Talon asked.  "While you're in this type of mood...you'll tell her everything."

Elli patted her hand.

 As Charlene dialed the number she held Talons' hand.  "I wish I was your friend. I'm really sorry about being such a bitch to you. Channing obviously had something for you before me. I know it's not your fault. I don't think he's much my type. You are so ...pretty...b-b-but you know, you can be really scary."

 Talon cackled like a witch from a fairytale movie, "And now you know the reason why he left me in his dust too...looks aren't everything!"

 "Hello Angela?  Please, please don't hang up. I have something I want ...no need to say. I'm sorry. So sorry.  Sorry for everything. I'm such a horrible person. I'll understand if you never want to talk to me again. But I miss you so much!" Charlene talked for a few minutes each sentence getting stronger with hope. "You're not joking. Really can I? For sure? Monday I'll leave. I can't wait...I love you Ange. Bye"

  "I'm going to see her on Monday! She lives in New York. Thank you so much. I think I'm going to go home now and get myself together before then!"