Arnold Schwarzenegger

Start from the beginning

While serving his mandatory one-year Austrian military commitment (required for all eighteen-year-olds) as a tank driver, Arnold went AWOL during basic training to compete in the Junior Mr. Europe contest. He won. Upon returning, however, Arnold was put in detention and spent twenty-four hours in a cell to serve as punishment. The competition meant so much to him, he didn't even think of the consequences. In the bodybuilding world, however, word spread of his victory. He was on the cover of several magazines and received several job offers as a personal trainer, including one from Rolf Putziger, who was Germany's biggest bodybuilder promoter. Excited, Arnold requested an early discharge, which was eventually approved.

Arnold made his way to Munich, Germany to work as a personal trainer for Rolf Putziger's gym. As the train approached the station, he overcame the questions in his head—"How will I find my way around? How will I survive?"—with his new mantra: "This is going to be my new home." He stayed at Putziger's apartment but left after a few days when Putziger bribed him, offering a car and a career in exchange for sex. Arnold moved into a storeroom at the gym, which he converted into sleeping quarters. He also split his daily workout routine into two sessions, two hours in the morning and two hours at night, to adjust to his busy schedule of training with clients.

Novices like Arnold usually competed for Mr. Austria and Mr. Europe, before competing for Mr. Universe. However, Arnold was impatient. He knew it could take years, and at the time, he wanted the toughest competition he could get. In a bold move, Arnold applied to compete in the Mr. Universe competition. Putziger, however, didn't want this to happen. He didn't want Arnold to get discovered and become successful before he could make money off of him. Jealous, Putziger destroyed his application in the mailroom and refused to pay for his trip to London, England. Thankfully, Arnold's friend Albert Busek persuaded the organizers to consider his new application, and Putziger's club rival, Reinhard Smolana, raised the money for Arnold's plane ticket.

Arnold placed second in his first Mr. Universe competition. Although he didn't win, he was in the spotlight. Magazines frequently mentioned him, and he was favored to win for next year. One of the judges, Charles "Wag" Bennett, was so impressed that he offered to develop a training program with Arnold for a few weeks. As Arnold had little money, Wag offered for him to stay in his crowded family home above one of his gyms in Forest Gate, London, England. Wag and his wife, Dianne, were like parents to Arnold, and even introduced him to his boyhood idol, Reg Park.

The training paid off. The following year, at age twenty, Arnold became the youngest to ever win the Mr. Universe title. Despite his success, Arnold knew that in order to fulfill his dream of going to America, he would have to dominate the European bodybuilding scene. One title was not going to cut it. He trained even harder for the next Mr. Universe competition. The day before, however, Putziger tried to coerce Arnold into signing an agency contract, which would entitle Putziger to a percentage of all of Arnold's future earnings, in exchange for Arnold's regular paycheck. Arnold was counting on this paycheck as spending money for his time in London during the competition. Arnold refused and left the gym with only the money in his pocket. He borrowed money from his friend Albert to pay for his plane ticket.

After Arnold won his second Mr. Universe title, Joe Weider sent a telegram inviting Arnold to compete in the Mr. Universe competition in Miami, Florida, with all expenses paid. Arnold had finally arrived in America but placed second in the competition. Joe Weiner, however, agreed to cover Arnold's living expenses for a year so he could have another shot at the title. He believed in Arnold and wanted to document his journey via his bodybuilding magazine. At twenty-one years old, Arnold arrived in Los Angeles, California, without speaking much English. He enrolled in college, took English classes, and learned the American way of life. At Gold's Gym, Arnold trained as hard as ever and won multiple titles, including Mr. Olympia, which labeled him as the world's greatest bodybuilder. He also made his film debut portraying Hercules in Hercules in New York (1970) after Joe Weider convinced the movie producers to cast Arnold for the lead role.

Arnold became a prolific goal setter, writing his goals at the start of each year on index cards and succeeding in achieving them. He set out to achieve financial independence through a series of successful business ventures and investments. Inspired by fan mail he received asking for training advice, Arnold started a mail-order business, selling bodybuilding equipment and instructional tapes. He also started a brick-laying business with a fellow bodybuilder, which became successful due to the pair's marketing savvy and an increased demand following the 1971 San Fernando earthquake. Arnold reinvested the profits from both businesses and his competition winnings to purchase an apartment building.

After achieving massive success in bodybuilding, Arnold set out to achieve his goal of becoming a successful actor. It was difficult for him to find acting work in the beginning, as agents told him "that my body was 'too weird,' that I had a funny accent, and that my name was too long. You name it, and they told me I had to change it. Basically, everywhere I turned, I was told that I had no chance." However, Arnold was relentless. He starred in Stay Hungry (1976), which won him a Golden Globe for Best Acting Debut in a Motion Picture for his performance, and starred as himself in Pumping Iron (1977). His breakthrough films came starring as Conan in Conan the Barbarian (1982) and Conan the Destroyer (1984). He followed by starring as The Terminator in The Terminator (1984) under film director James Cameron, which catapulted Arnold into stardom.