PROLOGUE

P A U L A

I sat on my bed as I stared at my sister, Ebony as she frantically search through my closet. She was looking for an outfit I could wear tonight to this VIP party I was forced to attend.

"Explain to me again why I have to be the one to do this." I whined as Ebony crouched down to look through my shoe boxes.

"Because," She said pulling out a Louis Vuitton shoe box and opening it. "I already got kids. Ain't no rich nigga gonna want me knowing I already have kids."

"But he ain't gotta know you have kids. It's a one night stand, Ebony." I told her.

"It's not a one night stand," She put the shoe box down and turned to look at me. "You have to build a relationship with him. If you don't then he has a better chance of denying the baby and signing over his rights."

I sighed. Ebony and I have been doing this for years. Scamming people out of their money is just one of the few things we do to survive and live the life we want to live. Of course Ebony has been doing this longer than I have because she's older but I still have about the same amount of experience and knowledge as she does.

This time the plan is to find a rich man with money, have his baby and make him pay child support for about eighteen years. Ebony and I agreed it would be a good way to be financially stable for a few years while we still had our jobs on the side. But my issue about the whole thing is, did I really want to bring a baby into this world? Especially with the lifestyle we're living?

"You're having second thoughts, aren't you?" Ebony asked studying me.

I snapped out of my thoughts. "No, I'm not." I replied quickly.

"Then what's the problem?"

"I don't think I'm ready to be a mother," I confessed. "A single mother at that."

I was only twenty-one years old, being a mother is not even something I should be worrying about right now.

"Don't worry, I'll help you raise the kid." She said turning back to my closet and continued to inspect my shoes.

"You can't even raise the two kids you got so what makes you think you can help raise mine?" I asked matter-of-factly.

Ebony has two kids that are currently sleeping in the other room right now. Her daughter is six months and her son is almost two years old. I take care of her kids most of the time since she doesn't want to grow up and take care of her responsibilities.

She did the dismissal motion with her hand to disregard my comment. "You're my little sister Paula," she said, her attention still focused on my shoes in the closet. "I'll always be here for you no matter what." This time she turned around and blew me a kiss.

Suddenly her baby screamed out and Ebony groaned. "Don't worry about it," I said getting up from my spot on my bed. "I'll handle it."

"Thank you!" She called after me as I walked out my room.

I walked down the hall to her kids' room and walked over to the crib. Ebony's six month old daughter, Ariah laid on her back in her crib whining. I picked her up and gently rocked her back to sleep. When she wouldn't go back to sleep I took her to the kitchen so I can make her a bottle. After giving her the bottle, she fell back asleep. I took her back to her room and placed her back in her crib.