Chapter 3: Seeing His Friends

Start from the beginning

"Shell," Raphael mumbles.

"That's cold, bro," Michelangelo says. "Here, have some pizza. Pizza solves everything."

A slice of pizza appears in front of his nose and Casey leans away from it. Michelangelo's eyes soften as he frowns, but he takes the pizza back.

"That's okay, dude. It's hard to eat when you're sad," he says.

"I'm not sad," Casey retorts. "I'm pissed."

"I mean this in the kindest manner possible," Sarina says as she enters the room with a tray laden with mugs and a teapot, "but you seem incredibly dour. Hurt."

He snorts. "Right, sure. Unless you suddenly got Diaval-powers, you have no idea what's going on up here." He points to his temple.

"We have eyes, Casey," Destiny says. "It's okay to be upset."

He rolls his eyes. That's all anyone seems to say to him nowadays. Everyone looks at him with pity. Everyone tries to validate his feelings. Why can't everyone just ignore him, pretend that he didn't fuck up his life? Why do they insist on pretending that they care?

Sarina sets the tray down on one of the free couch spaces. As she starts pouring tea, Annalise gets up to help her hand them out. She stops in front of Casey, holding out a mug to him with expectant, hopeful eyes, and he sighs as he reaches for it. The second he relaxes his hand from its perpetual fist, he's reminded of his stint with the drywall and he suppresses a wince.

"Did you get in a fight?" Destiny asks.

Casey grunts, his brow immediately furrowing as his expression sours. Yes, he got in a stupid fight! He punched an asshole and he got punched right back! God, just shut up about it already!

"Yeah, kid at school thought he threw a puck at him," Annalise says as she sips her tea.

"I didn't," Casey mutters.

Destiny's ears tuck against her hair as she gets to her feet, moving to his side. "Are you okay? Does it hurt?" she asks.

He tries to lean away from her touch but she's already holding his jaw, turning it away to examine him. He jerks his chin away from her, trying to push her away, but she catches his hand and again, he winces.

Destiny lowers his hand, eyes narrowing as she examines his bruised knuckles, still stained. "Unless that kid was wearing a lot of setting powder, then your hand shouldn't be this white." He stays silent, pouting, and she frowns. "Let me help you, Case."

"I punched a wall, okay?"

"Ha," Raphael says. "Classic."

"Not helpful, Raphael," Sarina quips. She gets to her feet. "I will retrieve the first aid kit."

"I don't need you to baby me!" Casey calls after her. "I'm not even bleeding!"

"But you're swollen and bruised and it's better to be safe than sorry," Destiny says.

"That's rich coming from you, wolfie."

She shrugs, accepting the hypocrisy as Sarina returns with their med kit, and Casey hears Donatello let out a small chuckle. Casey groans, slumping back and letting them fuss over his stupid hand, and he glances over at Raphael just as he pulls out his t-phone, starting to type.

"What are you doing?" Casey asks.

"I'm calling Taylor. She asked me to let her know how you're doing since you won't return her messages," he says. He fixes Casey with a pointed, accusatory look.

"Hey, it's none of her business! Don't call her!" He flinches as Destiny prods a sore spot, almost yanking his hand away from her. "Watch it! I'm tender!"

"That much is clear," Donatello drones, still half-asleep in his blanket cocoon.

"Fuck you, Don."

"Hey, hey, chill," Destiny hisses. She looks back at Donatello. "And now isn't the time for that, Donnie. Cut him some slack."

"Sorry..."

Raphael puts the phone to his ear. "You need a serious talking to, man. Tay's good for that."

"I said no!"

"Isn't she your friend?" Annalise asks.

"Well yeah, but the last time she gave me a 'talking to,' I had a lump on my head that hurt for a week!" Casey groans.

"To be fair, that trigonometry test was heavily weighted and you went out to beat up thugs with Raphael instead of studying," Sarina says.

"Yeah, but when she said she was gonna knock some sense into me, I didn't think she meant literally!"

Maybe if he had studied for that test, he would've passed math, which means he would have graduated, which means he wouldn't have had that argument with his dad, which means—

"Whatever," he mutters. "I don't care anymore."

Uneasy glances pass around the room. Raphael keeps the phone at his ear even as the voicemail message goes off, urging him to leave a message at the beep.

"I'll call you later, Tay," he mumbles, hanging up the phone. He slips it into his belt, moving to the TV. "Anyone up for a round of Ghost-Hunters?"

"Ooo, me! Me!" Michelangelo says.

They boot up their co-op video game, something about running around hunting ghosts. Sarina gathers up empty pizza boxes. Destiny finishes wrapping Casey's hand, pinning the bandage in place, and Casey can't bring himself to look at her.

He feels her stroking the top of his hand gently as she rises back to her feet. Then, her hand, brushing the bangs from his forehead as she leans down and kisses it lightly, making his stomach flip, his chest all tight with the sudden urge to burst out crying. His skin prickles.

"It'll get better, Casey," she murmurs. "Just...don't give up yet."

She steps away, taking a spot next to Raphael as she spectates the game. Casey shuts his eyes, sucking in a deep breath as he fights back the ache in his chest. He still feels like he might cry again.