Had my mother never been forced into marrying my father, I think she would have chosen the path of art similar to me. But that’s part of life; we don’t always get to chose.

Hey Jude, don’t make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better. Remember to let her under your skin, then you’ll begin to make it better.

I didn’t bother to finish the rest of the song. I stopped playing and stared at the keys, wondering how I ended up here. How I ended up being the girl with the abusive father and boyfriend. Why, out of all the people on this earth, was I chosen to be one of the unlucky ones?

**

From: Jack
Are you busy tonight?

From: Sophie
Packing for this weekend..

From: Jack
Packing for what?

From: Sophie
My parents are hosting a charity gala in London this weekend.

From: Jack
Oh…well I was hoping we could get together soon.

From: Sophie
…meet me in the recital room at 3

**

The main reason I chose to meet Jack at three was because James had class. The other reason was because I knew the recital room would be empty and soundproof. No one would even know we were talking, and that meant word wouldn’t get to James.

Jack was sitting at my usual spot at the piano bench. I couldn’t help but snicker as he attempted to pluck out a few notes. 

“Try not pressing two keys with one finger,” I said, causing him to look up and a smile to fill his lips.

He let out a small sigh and shook his head. “I used to be able to play, when I was younger. But I’m afraid I’m a tad rusty.”

“Here,” I said. He moved over and gave me enough room to slide in next to him. “Play Middle C.”

“Er,” He scanned the keys.

“This one,” I pointed to the white key beside the set of two blacks in the center of the piano. He pressed down on it, creating a familiar tune. “Now play it again, then play G twice.”

He searched again. I placed my finger over the correct key. He moved to do the same, causing our hands to brush against one another. 

“Good,” I said, clearing my throat. “Then A twice, G again, F twice, E twice, D twice, and Middle C.”

He played all the correct notes, smiling when he realized the tune he was playing. “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, a classic.”

“It’s good for beginners.” I joked. 

“I’m a beginner?” he asked, appalled.

“You didn’t even know which key was Middle C,” I reminded him.

“Right,” he said, looking back down at the piano and trying to hide his grin. “So, I have to ask, since your parents are such stingy business people, how did you find time to learn the piano?”

“Well, my mother had always wanted a piano, mainly for decoration. Finally, my father gave in and one day it showed up in our foyer. So, little seven year-old me taught myself how to play.” I explained, thinking back to my days of struggling to make decent music.

“You taught yourself?” he asked, raising his eyebrows in surprise.

“For awhile, then I started taking private lessons from my school’s music teacher. She would help me after school and I made my parents believe I was in a baking club.” I said.