Chapter 1

“Aw, baby, do you really have to go?” whined James, whose chocolate hair was a ruffled mess. 

“Yes,” I said. I crawled off the bed and smoothed down my blouse. “I’ll be late for class!”

James pouted his lip, “C’mon,” he begged. I pulled a sweatshirt over my head and flipped my hair out of the collar. 

“Later,” I said, giving him a last good peck on the lips. I slipped on my boots, grabbed my school bag, and walked out the door with a flirtatious wave.

It was my first week of university. I was glad to finally be away from my parents - who care more about their business than my well-being. I’m sure they don’t even notice that I’m gone.

I held my bag over my head as the rain poured down on me as I ran to the building all the way across campus. Even though it was August, and still technically summer, the rain made the air feel cold. My feet splashed the puddles on the sidewalk, sending droplets of water to stain my boots.

My parents had wanted me to major in business, in hopes to take over one day. But I don’t want to sit at a desk for the rest of my life. Much to my parents’ dismay, I chose the path of music. They’ve told me over and over again how I’ll never be successful. But I want to prove them wrong.

A girl politely held the door for me as I rushed under cover. I gave my thanks and ran my fingers through my sopping wet hair. I sat down in my Music Theory class and hoped that no one would take too much notice to my disastrous appearance. 

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. 

James: It’s raining… :)

Me: I noticed…

I shot the text back. I had to wipe the screen of my phone with a dry piece of my sweatshirt where my fingers had left water marks. 

James and I have been together for a year and a half now. We met midway through our eleventh years in secondary school. We were absolutely crazy about each other. We were the kind of couple who would sneak out during lunch just to have picnics in the park. I loved him so much I made sure to choose the same university so we could be together. 

There’s a reason I used past tense. I loved him. We were crazy about each other.

Things just aren’t the way the used to be, at least not for me.

“Alright class!” said Professor Higgins as she strolled into the classroom. “Beautiful day out, isn’t it?”

The class scoffed at her humor. 

I etched notes down as she lectured about Beethoven. His piano sonatas are the foundation of my piano career. Some people don’t appreciate the beauty and genius behind each piece. But for me, playing Beethoven got me through most of my childhood.

Suddenly my phone buzzed again.

James: I’m going out tonight with the boys...be back by one!

This sent a shiver down my spine. If he was going out with the boys, that meant he’d be drinking. And I hate being around him when he’s drunk.

Me: Okay, be careful.

I let out a sigh and stowed my phone in my bag. A perfectly good Friday night and I’d be spending it alone. I used to have friends, but James scared them all off. He said there wasn’t enough time for just us. What a load of bullshit. 

I don’t mind being alone though. In fact, that’s what I am most of the time anyways. I guess that’s what happens when you grow up an only child with parents who are too busy to even take you to school.