Chapter 1 : Meeting Mark

'Faster. Faster. Faster.'

Sprinting as fast as I physically possible, not taking any risk on a glimpse of what is coming up behind me. I glance down however at my leg as the pain stabs sharper, agonisingly tingling in my spine, ruthless, relentless.

Him. My stepdad, undeserving of such a title, Ben, got hammered on alcoholic substances and shattered the bottle over my leg, slicing my arm with a shard of glass, multiple bruises both past and present and lacerations to my body and a cut deep across my eyebrow.

I knew that I had to get out of there, a long time ago, even though the line had been crossed many a time before this. I saw my opportunity in his rage, out the back door and high speed down the road, covering some serious ground in the mean time before his drunken self could get out the door.

I hear the dog, Red, barking behind me.

'No, no, no! this can't be happening'

Red is a former police dog, there is no chance he won't find me. He runs up close behind me and barks, yet not a hint aggression is displayed.

'I knew he preferred me. Cop that Ben. Winning for once in my life'

"Hey Red" I yell behind me, unable to stop. I have too much distance to stop. I heard Ben's outraged screaming in the distance, fuelling the adrenaline.

I turn my head, finally, to see he is not as far back as I originally anticipated. I swung my head around only to slam into someone and knock myself hard to the concrete.

"Oh my goodness! Are you okay?! I am so sorry!" The voice exclaimed. Shock kicked in, I didn't even get a look, I hurtled myself behind him. "Hey, what's wrong Miss?" He whispered.  Trembling hands pointed at Ben, who caught up.

'Too slow, again. He's going to get you. Again. You won't survive this beating.'

"Come here you LITTLE RUNT!" He hisses at me.

"Leave her alone!!" The man frowned, holding my hand behind his back. A strange comfort in the hands of a stranger.

"STAY OUT OF THIS" Ben hissed once more, the stench of alcohol was overwhelming.

"No. I see a child who needs help and obviously doesn't want to come back with you, whoever the hell you are. I will immediately call the police if you persist" The man replied, confidently.

"I despise people like you." Ben slurred, shooting a nasty glance at me. "But, if you want the worthless little b!tch, you can have her. But know this" he ensures I am watching. "Watch your back girl" Ben growls finally, pointing an aggressive finger at me and turning around.

I didn't realise I had stopped breathing until the strangers words of 'breathe sweetie, you're okay' started to sound like a distant blur over my heart pounding.

Heartbeat is so loud. Too loud.

My breathing was so rapid I couldn't catch a single breath. I couldn't see through the tears, I couldn't breathe through the panic.

My chest constricted and it all became dark, laying limply in the strangers arms, who spoke rapidly into his phone.

"Yes, I need an doctor...my name is Mark Fischbach and I need help for an injured child."