3) We're My OTP

Chapter Three
-We're My OTP-

Dan pulled his hood up over his head, putting his earphones in as he wandered down the school corridors. He did not feel like being here today. He was feeling exceptionally depressed and everyone here today seemed to be feeling exceptionally bright and cheerful.

Dan walked past Phil and his friends, Chris, Pj, and some other kids Dan didn't know. Dan and Phil made brief eye contact, but Dan broke it by looking down. He kept walking. It was Thursday. Dan and Phil hadn't spoken since Sunday. He had Phil's number, but Dan hadn't texted or called him.

Dan didn't know how to feel. He just knew that Phil had started making him feel something, for the first time in a long time, and that terrified him. He walked away from all the judging eyes and to the back of the school. He just needed a cigarette. He put it to his lips and took a long drag, sighing and watching the smoke billow before him.

What had Dan gotten himself into? He couldn't let Phil into his life, his messed up shit storm of a life. Phil couldn't know how fucked up it really was. Dan sighed. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair that Dan couldn't have Phil in his life, but he knew that he needed to stay away from Phil, if he wanted to continue the way he was.

But Dan wasn't cruel enough just to blow him off. He took out his phone and touched Phil's contact.

Hey it's Dan. I'm sorry Phil but I don't think we should see each other again. It was nice those two times, but I think it's best we don't talk anymore. Goodbye
-DH

Dan sent the text and took another drag. That was one issue taken care of, he supposed.

~•~•~ 

Phil stared down at his phone and sighed. He'd kind of hoped that he and Dan would get to see each other again. He had wanted to know more about Dan, maybe even find out why he needed a "Happy Little Pill."

Phil didn't know how to reply so he just pocketed his phone.

"You okay, Phil?" PJ asked me.

"Yeah..." Phil answered, "Yeah."

The class bell rang, so PJ, Chris, and Phil walked to class. Dan walked past them, and Phil stared after him but he didn't spare Phil one glance. Phil had seen a different side of him a few days ago. An innocent, vulnerable, scared side of him. But all he'd seen since then was a tough, distanced, silent, bad boy who smoked behind the school and was avoided in hallways.

Phil missed his smile, his laugh. He was dorky underneath it all, Phil could tell. He just wanted Dan to be able to be himself for everyone to see. Why'd he have to put on this show? It was just hard knowing that he could get Dan to open up- that he was probably the only one who could help the closed off boy- but Dan wouldn't let him.

"Pssssst," A voice whispered. Phil just kept walking. "Pssst Phil," It whispered. Phil stopped and looked around. He felt someone grab his arm, and pull him into a door. Phil was in a janitor's closet? He looked over to see who had pulled him inside.

"Chris, what the heck?" Phil asked, laughing a little.

"I've been meaning to get you alone," He said, "You're not being very subtle Phil."

"What?" Phil asked, completely lost. Was Chris hitting on him or...?

"Did you two hook up at the party or what?" Chris asked.

"...What?" Who was he referring to?

"Dan! You've been ogling the kid all week!" He exclaimed.

"Ohhh! Dan? No we're not...anything." Phil spoke, not sounding particularly believable. In fact, Phil wasn't sure if he believed himself.