Chapter 30

"Merek?"

"Hm?" He opened his eyes, looking down at where Kenna knelt before him. She touched his amulet, young eyes lighting with curiosity.

"When's your birthday?"

He smiled. "Why?"

"Just wondering. I might have gotten something."

"I see." He wanted to laugh but her words pierced deep. He remembered this... once before. Another girl her age, just as small and curious.

"I might have gotten you something," she had giggled when he picked her up.

"Then perhaps I should tell you it's today and get it all the sooner." He told Kenna. Her smile was just like Tallah's... always so bright, always for him. Her small hands were still gripping the amulet, questions unasked in her upturned gaze.

"Tallah?" He took her hands in his, staring down at their stark difference in size.

"Merek?" Kenna's smile widened. It fell slowly as she studied him. "Merek, you have to go."

"Go?"

"She needs help. We need you."

Merek jolted awake, looking around frantically. Jotunheim. Still on Jotunheim, that was good. He lay on his back, staring up at the ceiling. He bit his lip and tried to stop the shivers that raced through him. The pull remained.

Why that dream, he wondered. Why did it choose... ah. He tried to think of exactly what day it was. The traveling had confused him. Of course.

"Happy birthday." He mumbled with a humorless laugh.
.........

Farbauti held up her hand and the people quieted. Just like Asgard, the people of the capital gathered in a gigantic area set aside near the palace. Messengers among them would spread the news across the kingdom.

"My people, I'm sure you are wondering about our visitors. We have made a decision to end the war between our realms." The people muttered but quieted as she signaled again. "It has gone on too long and it is time we put our differences to rest. They will stay for a time to better learn about us. My children will travel to Asgard to do the same. Then, we will settle a treaty. I ask that you accept them and make them see we are not the barbarians they have been taught to believe. And perhaps we will find they are not the pompous bastards they seem." She smirked and the people laughed.

"Good, we're in agreement. They mean us no harm, I assure you. Please, be so kind as to welcome them?" She stepped aside and gestured to their guests. The people saluted and dispersed as Farbauti dismissed them. She turned to Loki. "We have our Festival of the Lights tonight. Will you join us?"

Kenna nodded. "We'll be glad to! What is it exactly?"

Loki explained. "It's a bit like the Aurora Borealis on Midgard."

Kenna grinned. "Sweet."

They were allowed in the village again but the people were wary and busy. Loki suggested they try again that night.

"Merek!" Kenna knocked on his door after dinner. He had stayed in his room all day, claiming he hadn't slept well.

"Hm?"