Chapter 5 | Bribery

"I'll get that."

The masculine voice comes from my right and I glance over, a hand still on my wallet inside my pocket. "What?"

The guy--young, cute in a boyish way, with red hair and green eyes--smiles at me. "Your coffee." He says. "Double caramel mocha with an extra shot? I thought I was the only person who liked those." And then he hands the cashier his credit card before I can even blink.

"You really don't need to--" I start, because it feels wrong to let this random stranger pay for my drink. But he laughs, cutting me off.

"No seriously, I want to. Plus," and he leans an arm on the counter, grins at me charmingly. "I figure it my help my chances."

"Your chances?" I ask, confused.

"You know. Of getting you to go out with me."

I stare, my jaw dropping a little. Is this happening? Am I seriously getting asked out by a random stranger right now?

Well, he is cute...

I smile a little. "You don't even know my name."

"Sure I do."

"Right."

"No, really. You're Gwen." He says, and taps a finger to his right temple. "I'm smart like that."

"How did you..."

"Gwen, your order's up!" The barista's voice comes from my left and I realize, stupidly, that he must've heard me tell the cashier my name. I shake my head at him as I walk to the end of the counter and grab my coffee. It's warm against my hands, and smells wonderful.

"So, you know my name..." I say, turning to face him. He's followed me, is standing only a foot away. He's very tall, I realize, looking up at him. "Do I get to know yours?"

"Peter." He says, and I smile. "Just Peter?"

"No."

I raise my eyebrows, and he smirks. "I'll tell you if you go out with me."

"You're bribing me to go on a date with you? Wow, you work fast." I tease, but my eyes are dancing and I feel a blush coming to my cheeks--he's really cute, and he's absolutely flirting with me, and I don't think I want to know why because it might make the magic go away.

"I might be."

"You might be? What does that mean?"

"Well..." He shrugs his lean shoulders, making the fabric of his hunter green t-shirt tighten across his chest attractively. "It depends."

I cross my arms, completely amused and charmed by him. "Depends on what?"

"On if it's working." He says, leaning forward a bit to wink at me.

I laugh. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah. Did you think I wasn't?" He looks a little hurt by this, just the faintest darkening of his green eyes. I shrug. "Wasn't sure. You are a stranger, after all, and you know what they say..."

Peter tilts his head, frowning. "What do they say?"

I laugh, thinking he's kidding. "You know, stranger danger and all that?"

He still looks confused, but he nods like it makes sense and I wonder if he wasn't kidding. Who doesn't know that saying? What kind of mother doesn't teach their kids to avoid strangers?

Well, mine. I mean, I didn't have a mother, so... I shake my head to rid myself of the thoughts. "I'm busy." I say, smiling apologetically.

It's not like I wouldn't enjoy going out with him... he seems really nice, he's definitely funny, and totally cute. But... who just asks out a girl they've never met, right out of the blue? And I don't like that he bought my coffee. It makes me feel like a burden, like I owe him something.