Prologue

This book is dedicated to everyone who has looked up at the stars and wished for things to change; for all the little girls who dreamed of being mermaids, for all the little boys who wanted to fight dragons, and for the child in each of us who is still waiting for Peter Pan to fly through the window.

~~~~

Snow is falling through the open window. A soft, cold breeze blows through the curtains, lifting strands of chocolate hair from the nape of a little girl's neck as she sits in the window seat. There is a book clutched to her chest, a book of fairytales. She holds it as if it's the only thing keeping her grounded.

Her eyes are closed tightly, her lips move silently as if she's saying a prayer to some faraway god, wishing on the stars that glimmer high above her.

The door bangs open behind her and she jumps, whirls, her hazel eyes wide. A teenage girl stands there, dressed all in solemn, formal black. Her green eyes are furious and hurt as she stomps toward the little girl in the window.

"Gwen! What is wrong with you?! Everyone is downstairs asking--" she stops when she sees the book, and her face goes cold. "Again? You're waiting for Peter again? For the love of--"

"Don't, Stacy! Mama says not to take the Lord's name-"

"Shut up Gwen! Mom's gone, don't you get it? Mom and Dad are gone and they're not coming back! Get your head out of the clouds!" Pain and anger and confusion war in the teenager's voice as she stomps toward her little sister and snatches the book, even as tears well in Gwen's six year old eyes.

"Fairytales are lies, Gwen!"  Stacy shakes the book, waving it wildly as she speaks lowly, furiously. "Mermaids are fake, nobody has a fairy godmother and there are no Prince Charmings in this world! And no matter how long you sit here waiting, Peter Pan is NEVER COMING!"

Stacy throws the book against the wall; the sound it makes is loud in the suddenly quiet bedroom. 

"It's time to grow up, Gwendolyn. No one is coming to save us. Not now. Not ever."