Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Welcome to the World!

Allison couldn't even count how many people came to see her, Connor, and Cameron over the next two days.

Connor's parents were the first there, quickly followed by Allison's parents. "Isn't she just precious!" Allison's mother squealed, holding Cameron tightly in her arms. Allison shot Connor a sarcastic look and he stifled a laugh.

"So, what do you guys want to be called?" Allison asked. "Granny? Grandma? Papi? Pawpaw?"

Allison's mother pursed her lips. "Grandmother. Most defnitely."

"Yeah, because that's really easy for a two year old to say," Connor added sarcastically. Allison shot him a warning look, but it was too late. 

Allison's mother turned on him quickly, staring him down with her cold shark eyes. "Well, I'm sorry if you disapprove of my nickname for my granddaughter, but considering you didn't even consult me for name suggestions I would just let it go, okay?"

Allison stared at her open mouthed and took Cameron from her arms. "Mom? You do realize it's our baby, not yours, right?"

Allison's father took her mother's hand and stood beside her. "Well, it was technically our idea to have the baby, so..."

"It was our idea, too!" Connor's mother called out. 

Connor glared at his mother. "I'm sorry, but are you trying to take credit for our child? You can't be serious."

Connor's father grunts. "Well, it was our suggestion."

"Considering you have fourth grade math skills, you might realize that I was pregnant before you so kindly ordered me to have a baby. So, you may want to lay off a little bit."

Since she had gotten pregnant, Allison found that she was a lot less tolerant of her parent's annoying comments. Honestly, they were like something that you would see in a bad movie. Connor tried to tolerate them a little more, but the day after his daughter was born wasn't a great time to be trashing his parenthood. 

"Look, I'm feeling a little tired. Maybe you guys should leave? Cameron needs to eat, anyway." Allison tried to be subtle, but she honestly was tired.

"That's another thing. Cameron? That sounds like a boy name." Allison's mother pursed her lips as she was shooed out of the room by a nurse. Allison could hear her bickering with Connor's parents all the way down the hall. Connor chuckled softly and took Cameron out of Allison's tired hands. 

"They never stop, do they?"

Allison shook her head in disgust. "God, I know! Honestly, you'd think meeting their granddaughter for the first time would make them lighten up a little bit, but no! They just have to go on being their horrible selves! It never ends."

They were interrupted by Cathie and Jennifer running though the doors. "Hey!! How are you feeling?" Cathie asked, hesitant to walk up to Allison like she had some sort of disease. 

"I'm fine. Wanna hold Cameron?"

Jennifer squealed and held out her hands, ignoring Cathie's glare. "Cameron! What an adorable name! I love it!"

Connor smiled and slowly handed over Cameron. "Thanks. It was Allison's idea, actually." He smiled at her and winked. She smiled back, aware of how bad she must look right now, not having showered in two days.

"So. We passed your parents in the elevator... awkward," Cathie said, gently sitting at Allison's feet. "They seemed on edge. Did they like Cameron?"