Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Discovery and Recovery

Allison awoke in a dark room.

At least, it looked dark at first. Once her eyes adjusted, she saw that there was light trying to sneak in under the drapes. She sat up in bed and felt the baby move in her stomach. She froze and slowly looked down. She didn't look any different... but it was the first time she had felt it move.

She swung her legs out of bed and stood up quickly. Too quickly. Her vision blurred and she gripped the table for support. After her vision cleared, she looked up again and jumped. Connor was standing in front of her, looking at her quizzically. 

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

"I think so. But I have two questions." Connor nodded. "What happened and where am I?"

Connor smiled. "You're in your bedroom. Or did you not recognize it?" Allison looked around and blushed. How had she not recognized the room she slept in every night? "And you... sort of passed out last night. When Kim started that insane food fight."

Allison's memories came flooding back to her all at once and she had to sit back on the bed. She put her head in her hands and groaned. "How bad is the mess? That pasta had to stain the floor, right?"

Connor nodded again. "But we cleaned it up. It only took a few hours... and it's safe to say Kim won't be coming back here for a while."

"Oh, she means well. She's just... Kim being Kim, you know? You must remember, it hasn't been that long since she went to school with her."

Connor stared at her. "Well, yeah. But this time I feel like it wasn't like that. She was... unrepentant. She didn't care at all that she destroyed the dining room. I think she was a little jealous of the attention you were getting."

Allison swallowed. "I don't think so..." Before she could continue, she remembered something he had said. "Wait, who's we?"

"We?"

"Yeah. Earlier you said 'we cleaned it up.' Who else cleaned it up?"

"Oh!" Connor cleared his throat. "Well,  Mark and Ryan stayed the night. Mark's car broke down and Ryan wanted to stay to help you out. Did you know he's a doctor? Anyway, we tried to make Kim stay and clean up, but she started screaming at Mark and through the china plate against the wall then stormed out. Once Ryan calmed Mark down, we all cleaned for most of the night while you slept. They're out there now watching TV and sipping on coffee... which I didn't have. I swear, I didn't!"

Allison laughed and she felt better. When she tried to stand, though, her vision blurred again. "You never answered my next question. What happened?"

"Oh, right. Sorry. Well, you passed out in the middle of the food fight. Everyone else thought it was planned or something. But when KIm came up screaming, everyone stopped and looked down to see you lying on the floor. I thought..." Connor swallowed. "I thought you were dead. You weren't moving at all, and you were barely breathing. We carried you in here, Ryan checked you over, and we've been letting you rest. You've been out for like a full day, you know."

Allison glanced at the clock and groaned. She had missed a full day of classes. "Okay. Well, why can't I stand up?"

Connor felt her forehead and left the room, promising to return with Ryan the Doctor. Sure enough, within five minutes they were rushing into the room. At least, Connor was. Ryan was being pulled by the wrist down the hallway while Mark trailed slowly behind.

Ryan walked over to the bed and smiled down at her. "Feeling better?"

Allison shook her head. "Not really."