Chapter 8

Chapter 8: No Plan. No Plan Whatsoever

Okay, so she lied. She lied big time. As Allison walked through the front door, she dropped her bag on the bench and sighed. Yep, she had no plan. She had hoped that the drive home would help her gain some inspiration, but no such luck. She was just as stuck as she was half an hour ago.

Connor was expecting a plan, and she had nothing. When he got home, what would she tell him? I have no choice, she thought. I have to call... her.

Allison picked up the phone and hit the speed dial that she almost never used. It rang twice, and then a brisk voice picked up. 

"Well finally, I thought you'd never call. That dean said that he'd talked to you hours ago! What took so long?"

Allison gritted her teeth. "Mom, how could you? You know I need that money! You promised me that you would pay for it. Why would you take it away?"

Her mother's cold laugh filled Allison's ears. She frowned and walked over to the fridge. As she let the cold air wash over her face, Allison closed her eyes and braced herself for what was coming. "Because you wouldn't do what your mother said! You know that saying 'Mother knows best'? Well, that's what you ought to keep in mind. OKay? Now just promise me you'll do the simple thing that we're asking, and have a child!"

The fridge was still open, and even though she was letting the cold air out, she didn't close it. IT was the only thing keeping her conscious. "Mom, please. Did your parents make you have me? No! So why should you make me?"

"Because we need you to do this."

Allison paused. It was clear enough, but she couldn't bring herself to face the truth, that she really was going to have a child. And she wan't telling her mother, her own mother. How messed up was that?

"Mom?" 

"Yes?"

"I'm pregnant."

There was a long pause. Then suddenly, her mothers screamed so loudly that Allison fell backward into the door of the refrigerator and slammed it shut. She dropped the phone and it hit the speaker button, filling the house with her screams. Prince Willie ran out from under the couch and scrambled up into ALlison's arms. Cradling Willie in one hand and bending down to pic up the phone with the other, Allison smiled faintly and held it against her ear. "Are you done?" she shouted over the noise.

"Honey! That's amazing! Did this happen before we asked you to do this?"

Hmm. "Uhm, yeah, sure. I found out two weeks ago, the day before you told me!"

Her mother squealed again. "That's amazing! When are you going to the doctor? When are you shopping for cribs? Does Connor know? When are you going to tell everyone?" Her mother kept talking for a while, and Allison didn't interrupt her. Great. Now her mother was going to try to rule her kid's life too.

"Mom? I'm going shopping with Cathie and Jennifer tomorrow, okay? I have a doctor's appointment Friday and you can't come," she added when her mother began to protest. "Well, I think that maybe I should go, considering I missed my classes today."

"Oh right! I'm so sorry, dear, you should have told me! I'll write a new check right now! Let me tell your father first! Honey!"

Allison smiled and hung up the phone as the front door opened. Connor stepped in and wrapped his arms around her. Allison fell into him and let him hold her for a moment before she pulled back and looked at him. "Problem solved."

Connor raised his eyebrows. "Really? What did you do? I thought you had some sort of plan?"

"Not exactly. I was bluffing. But, everything turned out okay."

Connor waited, but she didn't say anything else. "And?"

"And..." Allison hesitated. "And I told her."

Connor pulled his arms back and stared at her in disbelief. "What?! She's going to tell the whole town! Everyone will know... my parents will know! What have you done?!"

Allison smiled. "I've told the world that we're going to have a baby."

*****

I know, I know, shortest thing ever, but this was just a filler chapter. I promise to do better soon! See ya!

Write on!
<3 SnazzyReader