Chapter 33

Harry's POV

I let out a sigh of relief as I carefully set down the final placemat in the large sanctuary. My entire afternoon was spent setting up the church for the big dinner and I was slightly bitter that my time could have been spent better elsewhere, and by elsewhere I meant Louis'. Regardless, I was relieved to finally be done and have a break before I had to get dressed and come right back.

I turned to leave at last but my hasty exit was delayed by someone calling my name.

"Harry! Hold on a moment." My hand fell from the door and I turned around slowly, praying the voice didn't come from who I thought it did. Of course it had.

"Oh, uh Chris..." I gulped, "I just finished up my duties. Did you need something else?"

"No, Harry. You're done but your father would like to see you before you leave." He flashed a fake smile and gestured for me to follow. I nervously trailed behind him, memories of what he saw flashing behind my eyes. Fortunately, I hadn't run into him since the incident, but it looked like my luck was running out.

"You know you don't have to bring me to his office... I think I know the way by now." I muttered softly.

Chris slowed his pace once we entered the hallway. "I know that. And I know that you aren't stupid. Which is why I wanted to talk to you about something, or should I say someone." His forced grin fell and his face took on a serious expression as he came to a stop and put a hand on my shoulder.

I quickly shrugged away from his touch, hating the feeling of hands on me that didn't belong to my blue eyed boy. "Listen, if this is about Louis you might as well save your breath. I'm sorry you witnessed... that and I put you in this position, but we both know you won't say anything so this conversation is pointless."

"It's about more than that, Harry. I'm worried about you. Worried for you. There's something wrong with Louis and I know you see that too." He whispered, glancing around almost as he was afraid.

"You're being ridiculous." I scoffed, moving to walk away. Chris grabbed my hand with a panicked expression.

"You've changed, Harry. I've practically watched you grow up but you've changed. Not in a good way, either. There's something different, the spark in your eyes has faded. I fear for you." He gripped my hand tightly.

Anger boiled through my and I ripped my hand out of his. All I could see was red as I pushed him against the nearest wall. My face was mere inches away from his when I spit in a voice much darker than mine, "I like it here. With him."

I could see the fear in Chris' eyes as I shoved him roughly and continued walking down the hall. The sound of him whispering bible verses could still be heard when I approached my father's office.

I knocked twice before swinging the door open and entering the room. It was as if something changed inside me as I crossed his threshold. The anger evaporated and I calmly sat down on the couch across from my father's desk.

"You called for me, father?" I asked, trying not to think about what had happened on the couch I was seated on.

"Yes." He shifted papers around on his desk, not even bothering to give me his full attention. "Did you finish the tasks I assigned you?"

I nodded then mumbled a "yes, father." when I remembered he wouldn't see my actions.

"Managed to do something right for once." He sniped quietly. I wasn't sure if it was intended for my ears but the comment still stung. "Now I want you to listen to me, Harry." He spoke, finally meeting my eyes. I almost preferred it when he didn't.