Chapter Four (Maya's POV)

Start from the beginning

Everybody hurried over to the pinata. "Let the birthday girl go first," Topanga said as she put the blindfold on me and handed me the stick. She placed me by the pinata and spun me around a few times. I took a swing and then I heard Josh yell, "Whoa!"

I felt a teensy bit mortified."You almost knocked me out," Josh said as he laughed. "Here," he put his arms around me. I felt very happy as his arms were around me. He positioned me and the stick, "now try."

I put all of my might into the swing. I heard the pinata crack and then heard the candy scatter everywhere. "Maya, you did it!" I heard Josh yell.

I took of my blindfold and saw the broken pinata on the ground. I turned around quickly toward Josh, "I did it! I can't believe I did it!"

Josh and I hugged, and then he picked me up and spun me around once. Once my feet touched the floor again, I looked into his gorgeous eyes. We gazed into each other's eyes and then we both started leaning in...

"C'Mon, Maya!" Riley exclaimed as she pulled me away from Josh.

I saw Josh rubbing the back of his head in confusion.

Riley and I started picking up the Kit Kats, Milkways, and Snickers that had fallen onto the ground. I had never felt happier in my entire life.

     .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

Before I knew it, it was four o'clock in the evening. And it had been two hours since I had last talked to Josh, so I began to worry.

Riley got out her phone, attached it to the speaker and it started playing Mary's Song by Taylor Swift.

I saw Lucas walk over to Riley. He held out his hand and asked, "may I have this dance?" Riley took his hand, they took a few steps and then started dancing slowly and elegantly together.

She said, I was seven and you were nine
I looked at you like the stars that shined
In the sky
The pretty lights

"May I have this dance, Miss Ava Morgenstern?" August asked Ava.

"Of course you may, August Matthews," Ava replied. They also began to dance.

I saw Topanga walk over to Dewey, who standing all by himself. "Would you like to dance with me, Dewey?" Then she started dancing.

Said you'd beat me up
You were bigger than me
You never did, you never did

Then I saw Farkle start dancing with Smackle and Zay started dancing with Missy.

Mr. Matthews and Shawn looked at each other holding out his hand, "shall we dance?"

Shawn started mimicking a fake cry, "I would love to." The two of them started dancing in the most ridiculous way I had ever seen. I giggled in amusement as I was sitting on the couch beside my mom.

Oh my, my, my, my

Then, Josh walked up to me and said, "may I have this dance?" He put out his hand. I quickly glanced at my mom, she gave me a convincing smile. I turned around and took his hand and started dancing with him.

...when suddenly
I wasn't that little girl you used to see
But your eyes still shined
Like pretty lights

I saw Eric walk up to my mom and before I knew it, they were dancing.

"Psstt. Eric? You wanna switch dance partners?" Shawn asked Eric.

"Yeah, sure," Eric said.

My mom started spinning Eric and Mr. Matthews started spinning Shawn. They all switched partners. Mom was dancing with Shawn and then Mr. Matthews started dancing with Eric.

"Hey, Topanga? Wanna switch partners?" Mr. Matthews asked.

Topanga nodded. She started spinning Dewey as Mr. Matthews spun Eric. Then Mr. Matthews started dancing with Topanga and Eric was dancing with Dewey.

Josh and I began to laugh. We stared into each other's eyes as he started to lean in.

A few years had come around
We were sitting in our favorite spot in town
Then you looked at me

I started to lean in, too. Our lips were less than a inch apart from touching...

You already know who it is
Silento
Silento
Silento
Gonna do it for me

The "Whip Nae Nae" started playing and then everybody started dancing.

Now watch me whip
Now watch me Nae Nae

And I was so surprised when Josh started dancing along. When he did the whip, I started bursting out in laughter. I could tell he was really enjoying himself, too.

We danced to twenty nine pop songs before we stopped. "Oh, I just remembered something," Josh said as he sat on the couch. He picked up a little box that was decorated in gold wrapping paper and blue ribbon. He gave it to me.

I looked at the gift.

"Open it," he whispered.

I delicately opened the gift. My jaw dropped as I opened it. It was... "a puppy?" I said picking up the little small husky pup. "Awe. Look at his eyes!" I said as a glimpsed at its ocean blue eyes.
"I'm sorry but I can't accept it," I said handing him the puppy.

"Just think of it as a an apology for being such a jerk to you all these years," he said, handing me back the little pooch.

You were kind of a jerk... but a cute one, I thought to myself. "But what will my parents say?"

"It's okay. I talked to Shawn and Katy. They were totally cool with it," Josh assured me.

"Thanks, Josh," I said as I looked lovingly into his eyes.

"You're welcome," he replied with a gorgeous smile on his face.

So, Josh and I didn't get together, but I did get a little husky pup named Taylor. People always said I would eventually get over him, but I never did. I was still determined that we would one day be a couple. One day, I thought to myself. It echoed in my mind as I looked at Josh, one day.