Chapter 10

One day, when Eliza was ready to stay in her room until dusk, see no one, and talk to no one, she noticed Tommy was not around. Hiding her face as best as she could, the girl went out looking for him. She found him in the pantry, barely breathing, with a hunk of cheese next to him. It was poisoned cheese, left there for the rats that dare to go into the pantry. Heartbroken, Eliza lifted the fragile little body and took the cat back to her room. Without a second thought, she ripped the sixth amulet off the bracelet and threw it in the fire. Then, she sang, petting the cat's soft fur. When she finished singing, Tommy meowed softly, as if thanking her, then falling into a deep sleep. After dusk, the cat woke up, ate, and played as nothing happened.

'Oh, Tommy,' whispered Eliza through her tears, hugging it. 'I don't care how hideous I become. I cannot possibly lose you. You are my only friend.'

But the sixth amulet brought on some dreadful changes. Now, not only her face but the whole left side of her body contorted in such a way, that Eliza felt like dragging an old infirm body which was pulling down on her. She was to carry this helpless body wherever she went. Her hands were thin and wrinkled like branches of an old tree. Her fingers gnarled, her nails grew long and crooked. Her feet hurt and cracked with every step. Her body slouched, and she grew a hunch on the left side of her back.

To hide her hideous appearance, Eliza cooked up a new lie. Something along the lines of having caught a weird illness that made every spot of light hurt her skin. As the Palace's doctors have never heard of such an illness, they weren't even allowed to see her. The Princess ordered all windows and mirrors to be coveredand the candles and torches to be put out wherever she went. That is how she managed to leave her room which was turning into a prison to her.

Days went by without purpose, each one the same as the other before. But one day, Nanny Ana didn't show up and Eliza's heart was tight up in concern for her. She waited the whole day looking out the window from behind the thick curtain. She tried reading, but the story proved to be especially boring. She tried her hand at stitching a flower pattern but stung her finger. It was dinnertime and Nanny Ana still didn't show up; she knew something was wrong. She put on a cape, pulled the hood over her head and, carrying the burden of a withered old body, she walked slowly towards the nanny's room. She found her lying in bed, pale-faced, barely breathing. Two women were looking after her, both looking worried.

'What happened to Nanny Ana?' asked the Princess in a strange, rough voice that was not hers.

The two women didn't even notice they were speaking to the Princess.

'She has a high fever, the poor woman. She's delirious—talking about a false princess who needs to be saved from herself. What could be the meaning of this? As old as she is, we don't know if she can make it until dawn.'

And the women began moaning again.

'Leave this room immediately!' ordered Eliza. But the women didn't budge.

'I said leave this room now! Eliza repeated, 'I am the future Queen and I order you to leave this room.'

'We apologise, Princess, we didn't recognise you,' said one of the two and both left the room in a great hurry.