Chapter 6

Well this chapter's gonna be fun *cracks knuckles*

SOTC: Home by Phillip Phillips
Just know you're not alone. I'm gonna make this place your home •

--------------------------------------------

Silence, and solace.

Mom pushed me forward, and I sprinted across the street. Marshal reached the curb before I did, and he put a finger to his lips.

I readjusted the duffel on my back.

Don't look back, I told myself, but I could feel my old neighborhood sealing up behind me. A shiver ran down my spine.

Mom stopped. Her eyes went wild as she whipped her head all around. Then she looked at us. "They're coming."

Marshal had an oh-come-on glare on his face, but I listened.

There was a distant groan. Then it repeated, over and over until it sounded like a million were coming over the hill.

"Run," I whispered, before we dashed forward across the block. Only a car or two mingled on the streets, but the sidewalks were a ghost town. People had been quick to shut themselves inside their houses, or flee.

I turned around, and my heart sank into my stomach. The entire street had become congested with a huge horde of zombies.

The groans became louder. My legs pumped as fast as they could, but it didn't seem like enough. My lungs were seizing up, and wheezes were smothering my words.

It all happened so fast, I wasn't sure what was going on at the time. But there was a scream from behind me, and then Mom let go of my wrist.

I turned around, and group of zombies had broken  from the horde.  They had surrounded my mom, and she was coated in fresh blood and bites peppering her body. The tangle of limbs tried to pull her apart. "RUN!" She yelped, before wrestling her gun out of its holster and firing it at the zombies, before she sunk into the swarm of grappling arms and jaws.

Mom was gone, just like that.

Marshal yanked on my wrist, and I struggled to tear my eyes away from the carnage. "No," I whimpered, tears pouring from my eyes, whirling around and sprinting away from the bloody remains of somebody who was fine ten seconds ago...

•••

It was the end of Bob's life that everybody was lined up for. Carl and I stood close to the end, Sasha and Tyreese stood behind us, her looking like she was about to cry and him fingering a knife with a why-do-I-have-to-do-this expression.

The line inched slowly, members of the group crossing the doorway with solemn looks on their spaces. I thought about what I should say. I was the newest member, but I've been here a few days already. Enough to have to have a good enough speech.

We passed the doorway, and I could see him, laid out on the couch. He looked almost dead already, sweat dripping from his chocolate skin and onto the thick, beige fabric of the couch. He smiled as each person said their dues.

Carl said his thing and he headed out, catching me with a solemn glance as he headed for the doorway.

I stepped up to the side of the couch.
"Hi, Bob. I'm going to make this quick so these guys can have some time to speak." I gestured towards Sasha and Tyreese behind me.

"I may have not known you long, but I know that you're one of the bravest people here." I could see how labored his breaths were as he grinned. It looked painful.

"Just... Hang in there, kay? We're going to miss you." He smiled, and I whirled around, heading for the doorway.

But unlike everybody else, I looked back. I saw the smile that lingered on his lips as he turned to Sasha.

I was right. We were going to miss him.

•••

Clumps of dirt fell onto the white sheet, raining down from the shovel like an avalanche. Everybody took turns down the line, adding another spoonful of the soil. I felt my hands grow slick from sweat as the thought of death submerged my thoughts into sadness. It felt like a punch in my stomach every time I reminded myself.

Carol handed the shovel to me, and I took a deep wedge of dirt from the pile. I dug my fingernails into the wood handle as I sprinkled the soil. Then, pushing the shovel to Maggie, I walked away, trying to shove away the thought that I had helped bury a person. Bob, who was a living, breathing, healthy person a few days ago, had been underneath that sheet. He had no idea we would bury him so soon.

It reminded me how vulnerable we are.

That the next person to die won't know until it's too late.

•••

After half the group left to take Eugene to Washington, I used the slats of wood in the walls to hook my knife in and climb up. Onto the roof. Where I could just ignore the fact that we had just buried a person.

I watched the walkers crawl their way up to the door, getting snagged on the organ pipes. Whenever one was tall enough, I grazed it with my knife. It was funny to watch it try to grapple at me.

I heard mumbling under me, from the porch. The doors swung open.

"Kee?! Kee, where are you?" It was the frantic voice of Carl, wild eyes as he craned his neck out the the mouth of the church.

I poked the heads of the tall walkers, making them fall down, dead. Carl seemed to catch the hint, looking up. I waved sweetly.

He rolled his eyes. "Do you want dinner or not?"

I thought, then laughed. "Okay, fine."
Trying not to smash my legs in, I fell down onto the porch. I sheathed my machete, looking back at the darkness, the moonlit organ pipes coated with blood.

Blood. Like Bob's, bubbling out of the side of his head where Tyreese had inserted the knife.

I choked some tears down, following Carl inside.

------------------------------------------

A/N: well hello there :)
So that's chapter six! Finally... *wipes sweat off brow*
Not as sad as I was hoping it would be.
Tell me what you thought!
Have a good day, fluff nuggets! <3

QOTD: Favorite song(s) at the moment?
AOTD: Well... I've had a recent obsession with Halsey, so I guess

Gasoline by Halsey
Ghost by Halsey
Empty Gold by Halsey
Worth It by Fifth Harmony
Don't You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia
Hello by Adele
Happy Little Pill by Troye Sivan (ERMEGER HIS NEW ALBUM COMES OUT IN TWO DAYS EEEEK)
Just In Case by Conor Maynard

I think that's it... Yeah.

*•-._.-•*•-._.-•*•-._.-•*•-._.-•*•-._.-•*

Word count:
1136

Edited 12-30-15
Edited 2-26-16