SCENE 8

Nidhi's home;

DAD: You came home, Nidhi? Go freshen yourself and join us at the table.

NIDHI: Yes dad. Dad, I want to tell you something.

DAD: What happened child?

NIDHI: Dad, I'm not able to cope up with Maths. I wasn't able to do basic sums. Can I change my stream and pursue a-a-acting?

DAD: What? (stands up in anger)

MOM: Calm down. Calm down.

DAD (to mom): It's all because of you. You pampered her and now she sat on our heads.                      (to Nidhi)I'm spending 2 lacs per year for your JEE classes and what do I get, my daughter telling me that she doesn't want to do Engineering and wants to take up the most fickle stream 'acting'. If you can't cope up with Maths, Why don't you study at home? Who told you to hang out? Me? Is it me? Oh god, who am I taking to?

NIDHI: Sorry Dad. I'll do engineering. Don't worry. I'll become an engineer. (Goes away)

MOM: Why do you have to say this? Let her pursue her dream. Why are you deciding her future? 

DAD: Do you think I like to scold my own flesh. I want to see her become successful. Not like me who earns Rs.40,000 per month and living in a house whose rent I have not paid for three months. I feel sad that I can't even afford to pay for my child's studies for that also I have to take loan only so that she become successful and don't have to face this stress and burden in future, what I am facing right now.

MOM: She will do it dear. Don't worry.

This is what happens in most of the families in India. Dreams are suppressed under the pressure of circumstances. The wings of a baby eagle ready to fly are clipped by his own parents because they think he will not be able to survive the big world. I know in this case it would have been better that she was allowed to drop maths and take some other subject which was easy and had the chances of earning good income in future. But Alas it did'nt go that way. But never make this as your excuse ever in life . Things are hard but you should try doing that first and if really you can't do it after many attempts then go for other options.

----------------------------EXIT----------------------