From Protector To Lady Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

"I am Nathaniel," the oldest one spoke for the first time.

"And I am Alex," the youngest one spoke quietly.

"It is nice to meet you all," I said as politely as I could.

     The day rolled on slowly. I busied myself by looking out the side of the carriage, amazed as the scenery and landscape kept changing before me. It went from our small village to big town to bustling forests and meadows.

     I tried not to think too much of our destination the following day. I was dreading meeting the princess. I knew nothing of her. I knew nothing of being a lady in waiting. Did they do work as servants? Did they just sit by idly? I would not be able to handle sitting around all day, that much I knew.

     What of the king? What if he was cruel and unjust? I had never heard bad things of the king, so that was enough to keep my mind at ease for the moment.

"Excuse me, Rebecca, but we have reached the inn," the oldest man, Nathaniel, spoke after what seemed like an immeasurable amount of time.

"Oh!" I said as I looked out the window, seeing a large wooden building before us.

"I hope the travels were not too wearisome, I know traveling can be rather uncomfortable," he spoke again as he took my hand and helped me down from the carriage. I stared at his hand in confusion before I realized he was only doing it to be polite, as was custom. I sighed and shook my head. I had so much to learn.

I stared as we walked into the inn, amazed. It was nothing like the tiny inn back in Rillanon. There were women scuttling about, carrying mugs and trays, a band playing music, men and women and children dancing, and four hostesses at a very large desk.

"Hello! Welcome. Will you be staying tonight?" one of the hostesses asked.

"Yes, if that is possible," Nathaniel said.

"Of course! Just this way," the woman said as she walked out from behind the desk and down a long hallway. The men and I followed her quick pace. We walked passed numerous doors before she stopped in front of one. Pulling a key out she unlocked it and said, "This room will be for the men. I will get a separate one for her."

I nodded gratefully at that. I did not want to have to stay with these men I had just met.

She went to the door across the hall and unlocked it before speaking to me, "This one is for you, dear."

"Thank you very much," I said politely as I walked in and shut the door. It was still early in the evening but I had no intentions of leaving this room again and I hoped the men would not bother me.

    I set my sack on the floor before looking around. The room was very large and held a wooden armoire, three kerosene lamps and many lush decorations.

I stretched out before I slowly took off my boots and pants, letting my tunic untuck from my bottoms and hang down. I sighed as I lay back on the bed, curling up onto one side. Sleep would not come easily tonight, that much I knew.

------------------------------------------

     I shook awake when I heard a loud knock on the door. I had just fallen asleep not too long before hand and I could feel it in my body. I was restless.

"Rebecca? It is almost time for us to make our leave," I heard Nathaniel outside the door.

"I will be out in a moment!" I said as I pushed the blankets off of myself, quickly made the bed and pulled my pants back on.

I opened the door to a smiling Nathaniel who held a silver tray.

"I decided I'd let you sleep late, I took the liberty of getting you some breakfast. I hope you don't mind."