Chapter 9

Violet's point of view

We made it to the police station that night. The police officer had to do some paperwork or something, so he had to leave me alone for a while which made me paranoid. It turns out, the police have been trying to catch Jeff for a very long time now. The sheriff says every time they make it to the scene, all they find are dead bodies, and some writing on the walls. It was like hunting a ghost, he never left behind any evidence.

So that was their first time seeing Jeff for real, how scary. He would always get in through the window when the victim was asleep, unaware of their surroundings. Thinking they are safe, Jeff wakes them up somehow, then puts them back to sleep, but this time they don't wake up as they rest in an eternal slumber. I shivered at the thought of him coming in through the window at my house that night when he killed my parents.

*****************

I had been at my friend Amanda's house. We had been having so much fun that I lost track of time and they had to drop me off a couple hours later than my curfew. I had been so afraid of my moms lecture that I practically ran up to the door after Amanda's mom dropped me off. She drove off after I gave a small wave. I was about to ring the doorbell when I noticed the door was open. Did we have a visitor? My mother always forgot to close the door sometimes when my uncle came over, but there was no car in the driveway.

I took in a deep breath and opened the door, making it creak ever so lightly. "I'm home." I called out in a dull tone. I expected angry yells from the kitchen, since it was time for dinner, but not a sound was heard. 'That's weird' I thought to myself. The lights were on but no one seemed to be in the house. It was kind of creepy.

I assumed my parents were in their room watching T.V as usual, and headed into the kitchen to make myself a sandwich. In the process of making my sandwich I heard a couple of muffled screams from upstairs in my parents' bedroom. Perhaps they were having a tickle fight? They were forever in love that they just couldn't keep their hands off of each other.

The muffled screams continued until I couldn't stand it anymore. I took a bite out of my sandwich and looked upstairs towards the sound. "Mom!" I called out to her rather annoyingly. Everything went silent after that as I heard the bedroom door open and slow, heavy footsteps came closer and closer to the opening of the stairs. Then a large figure came into view.

What I saw those seconds will forever be burned into my pupils, I can't erase the image of Jeff standing at the top of the stairs as he held a handful if my mothers hair, making her squirm in different directions and cry silently because of the gag in her mouth. She rubbed her hands together behind her back, they must have been tied. Jeff had my father over his shoulder, slumped and unmoving.

Blood covered Jeff from head to toe in my fathers blood as it dripped lightly onto the white carpet. He threw him at me, making the body bounce and roll down the stairs, sending drops of blood flying onto the walls and floor. My father landed at my feet, his eyes had been cut out and charred, and a crooked smile was carved into his cheeks. His arms were badly cut and his neck slit. I stared horrified at the sight of my unrecognizable father.

"How nice of you to join us." I heard Jeff laugh smugly, enjoying my reaction. "What do you think? Isn't he beautiful?" I took several steps back, my blood ran cold. My mother managed to spit out the gag. "Run Violet! Please just leave!" She yelled. "Mommy." I managed to choke out and held a hand out to her. "Run! Call the police! Just be - " she was cut of as Jeff slit her throat quickly out of anger and threw her down the stairs. I cringed as I saw her body bounce and break in some areas and finally settle next to my dad.

My eyes widened even more and I knelt down next to her, my tears falling like waterfalls that were unable to stop. "Violet ... Be ... Safe ..." She gasped before her eyes rolled back to her head and stopped breathing. Jeff threw his head back and laughed loudly and uncontrollably. "Oh, what a shame." He said wiping the bottom of his eye as though he was crying. Then he hopped over the railing and landed next to me with low THUMP. I crawled backwards, my heart having a seizure in my chest. He smiled widely at me. " How very interesting you are, Violet." He says emphasizing my name.

He holds a hand out to me. I flinched and covered my face with my arm. He chuckled once more. "Join me."