Chapter 3

Violet's point of view

Today, I got some news that my godfather had been murdered. Everyone says that it was Jeff. His arm had been cut off and he was stabbed in the heart. They say that the police got to the scene before Jeff could dismantle my godfathers face. I'm grateful for that. It seems that I've been going to a lot of funerals lately. I wouldn't want to see my godfathers face like my parents' at their funeral. They tried to stitch up their faces for the event, to make them look better, but it didn't work out too well.

Because they said that it was too gruesome for people to look at, they made my parents funeral a closed casket one. They were buried together, and what way to end a burial than a little rain? It rained for days after that, like the sky seemed to know my pain.

This time was different, I got to see my godfather in perfect form. The people dressed him up in a black suit and tie, and fixed his arm. He looked like he was sleeping. Although I didn't get to see him a lot before, I felt like I lost another part of my family. I cried for his death. He didn't deserve to die, like my parents. They never did anything wrong.

Why was my family being targeted? Then it hit me: he's still trying to find me. I held my head in my hands. There's no doubt that my godfather was questioned, interrogated, brutally asked. Most likely, Jeff now knew where I am. "Damn." I whispered to myself. Now I'm going to have to leave the orphanage.

*****************

I didn't want the chance of Jeff following me or knowing where I'm going next. I started packing as soon as I got home from the funeral. I can't leave until I'm eighteen or until someone comes to adopt me, but screw it all, I'm not dying here! Jeff most likely knows where I am so I have to leave as soon as possible. I hid my suitcases in the drawers. I'd leave tonight.

*****************

The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I had everything ready for tonight. My suitcases were all packed and I had all the food I could carry. The moon would give me all the light I need on the way, it would be full.

I held the black box in my hands. It used to be my jewelry box, for every little thing my dad would get for me every time we went to the store. He would buy me candy or plastic rings that would eventually break from my big fingers. I would save the wrappers, although I'm not sure why.

I gripped the key tightly, making the point dig into my skin. What if he's already here in the state? It's been a month since my godfathers death so it's very possible. I held my head in my hands. What should I do? In a few hours I would be gone, but I can't shake off this bad feeling.

I had very few friends in the orphanage anyway. At most two or three. They didn't see me entirely as their friend though, which is okay. I like being alone to think, to have my own personal bubble that I'm not afraid to break out of. I don't like many distractions.

The time read 7:34. It won't be long now, the caretakers are sending the others to sleep. I needed my rest for tonight. I set my alarm clock to midnight, and fell asleep. I had no dream.

**************

I was awoken by the sound of screaming. A shrill, blood-curtailing scream of a woman. My breath stopped short. Everything turned eerily silent. I got up quickly and threw my shoes on. The clock was blank and powerless. Great.

I grabbed my suitcases quickly. The screams from downstairs started up again. Why is everyone screaming? It sounded awful as one by one they were cut off by a gross sounding gurgle. What's going on? I tried to turn the lights on, but it was useless, the power was out or something. Everyone started to come out of their rooms to see what was going on. I couldn't escape with all of them out and about like that!

I looked out the window. Everything was dark out. The street lights were still glowing orange and the full moon was still out, along with the stars. I noticed a car parked on the curb. I've never seen it here ever before. It blended in with the darkness and looked expensive. Who's car is that?