.Chapitre Trente.

Start from the beginning

I sat up and rested back against the headboard. 

"What do you mean you had a rough day at work, what the hell happened?" I asked him confused.

He put his head in his hands for a brief moment before looking back up at me and from that one small look he gave me I knew he really didn't want to tell me but he had no choice.

"Some of the other guards were saying some things about us," he said looking down at his hands. 

I bit my lip softly and crossed my arms across my chest. I should have known that I was the cause of his bad mood. 

After a moment, I looked up at him and asked the question I wasn't sure I wanted the answer to. "What were they saying about us?" 

He rubbed the back of his neck and let out an annoyed breath of air. "There were a lot of bad things and a few good things," he said quietly. "Which one do you want to hear first?"

I thought about it, seriously thought about it, before coming up with a decision. "I want to hear the bad news first," I decided after a moment of debate.

"Some of the guys were saying that the only reason we were together is because I... forced you to be with me." Ethan said through clenched teeth. His teeth were so clenched I had a hard time believing he was capable of speaking. 

When Ethan spoke it made my heart brake. I hated seeing him like this. So angry and sad all because of me. Just like every other problem we face is because of me.

I was turning out just like my parents said I was. A big pain in the ass who always fucks up people's life's. Who would've thought?

"Ethan..." I whispered softly. He just shook his head at me.

"Don't even try to apologize Reagan, this isn't your fault." He said, knowing full well what I was about to do.

"Ethan they're saying horrible things about you and you expect me not to apologize? I have to its all my fault." I told him truthfully.

He shook his head stubbornly at me and looked me directly in the eye so I couldn't look away even if I wanted to. "I don't give a damn about what they said about me, I care way more about you than I do myself, do you understand me, Reagan?" He asked me pointedly. I nodded slowly so he could continue. "That's not the part that ruined my day and pissed me off when I came home, I was pissed off because those bastards were saying crap about you. You have no idea how many times I almost lost it and went off on them."

I blinked a few times, digesting what Ethan just told me. It was hard to believe that he'd be that upset because people were talking about me. It was just hard to wrap my head around.

Part of me wanted to know what was being said the other part of me didn't. Ever. The part that wanted to know won out, hoping that I'd be able to somehow help Ethan or something.