It's Complicated(the mentalist)

It's Complicated Chapter 1

Jane sat on the couch at the CBI contemplating what had happened earlier this morning...

Earlier that morning:

Jane: This isn't Lisbon's fault! I was the one who faked the bomb at the market! I was the one who sent the threats! None of this was Lisbon's fault you can't just blame her!

Hightower sighed irritably, she had sent for ONLY Lisbon. Not Jane and even though they caught the real bomber there were consequences to every action.

Lisbon: Jane-

Jane: No! I didn't tell you what I was going to do! This isn't your fault-

There was a brief moment of silence when it hit all three of them that Jane had gotten Lisbon into more trouble. Hightower straightened in her chair looking at Lisbon accusingly.

Hightower: He didn't tell you.

Lisbon: Yes mam.

Another moment of silence.

Hightower: And you trust him?

Lisbon: ......

Jane: Lisbon?

Lisbon avoided his gaze, her face impassive. Jane took a small step towards her. She took a small step away and crossed her arms, staring at the floor. Hightower turned to Jane.

Hightower: Do you trust her?

He answered without hesitation.

Jane: Of course I do.

Hightower: If you trust her then why didn't you tell her what you were about to do?

Jane: I-I wanted to prevent this *he gestures with his hands* from happening.

Hightower's mouth formed a thin line. Jane realized he was losing the argument. Lisbon tensed.

Hightower: So let me get this straight. You're unstable and incapable of understanding the consequences to your actions. Lisbon is your boss, Jane, you need to show her respect. Furthermore she doesn't trust you, and you won't listen to her...Lisbon, Jane, you get to go to trust classes. Either that or Lisbon gets fired and you get suspended. Pick your poison.

***************************

Van Pelt snickers at her desk.

Van Pelt: Trust classes? Seriously Jane?

Jane: I don't even know what a "trust class" is...Cho?

Cho looked up from his book.

Jane: Does Lisbon trust me? Do any of you trust me?

Cho: She doesn't and she won't until you prove that she can. And yes I do. To a point.

Rigsby nodded his approval.

Rigsby: To a point.

Van Pelt: No,I don't. You're friendly though.

Jane sighed and got up to make a cup of tea.

Jane: Thank you for being so encouraging.

His voice dripping with sarcasm. Going into the kitchen he turns to get the tea bags and when he finally chooses one (peach) he turns around and bumps into Lisbon who has a mug full of coffee. They both loose their grip, Lisbon's mug crashes and shatters across the kitchen floor, the steaming coffee spreading out from what use to be her mug. Jane drops his tea bags and some of the coffee gets sucked up inside of them. There's a brief pause before they realize just how close they are to each other. They both back away quickly, blushing and flustered.

Lisbon: The janitors will-

Jane: They'll clean it up-

Lisbon: Totally.

Lisbon leaves Jane standing in the mess they both made, Rigsby chuckles and Van Pelt snickers again.

Rigsby: Smooth move Jane.

Cho: You should leave before you get her in trouble again.