I felt awful for being such a burden.
When we reached the top, though, we realized we wouldn't be running any longer. There were about fifteen men who all had their guns trained on us.
Rosen gripped my legs tightly, and I only then realized I had left him vulnerable. He couldn't shoot his gun while holding onto me.

The men around us weren't holding handguns like all the members I had seen in the past. All of these guys had assault rifles. The ones you see in blockbuster movies or hear about in terrorist attacks.

We were no match for them.

Before Rosen and I could realize what was happening, I was being ripped off of Rosen's back and into someone else's arms.

I screamed and thrashed in their arms, but they held tight with hands wrapped around my stomach.

"Payback's a bitch," a voice whispered in my ear. A familiar voice.

"Knox," Rosen growled, his arms flexing. He looked ready to crush Knox's skull to pieces.

Knox swept my hair to the side, his fingers lingering on the soft skin on my neck.

"I think I finally know what you see in her Rosen," Knox murmured, and even I could hear the smile in his voice as he said it. Rosen took a step closer, but Knox immediately pressed his hand to my throat and squeezed. I gasped, clawing at his hand to try and pry his fingers from my windpipe. I couldn't breathe.

Just as quick as the choking began, the pressure ceased and I coughed, gagging and heaving in air.

My eyes met Cole who had dropped his gun to the ground, and now had his hands up as he stared down the men with the assault rifles.

I inched my fingers to the pocket of my hoodie, remembering I had stashed the knife in there. Knox and Rosen were too busy having a stare down to notice my movement.

My hand closed around the hilt of the weapon, and as soon as I had a firm grip I swung. Knox saw me coming a second too soon. His hand gripped my wrist, stopping me mid strike.
Still holding onto me, he spun me around and I came face to face with the traitor himself. He smiled. I sneered. But he plucked the knife from my hand and tucked it into the waistband of his jeans.

"Naughty naughty," Knox tsked, shaking his head. His grip on my wrist tightened, and I winced. I was sure that all blood flow had stopped to my hand because of the amount of pressure he was using.

I still had enough saliva left in me to spit at him.

He went livid.

Knox pulled me so close that we were nose to nose. I tried not to shy away, but I was trembling in fear.

"I will enjoy watching you suffer at the hands of the Def," he spat out, his face red. I didn't respond and Knox pushed me away, effectively throwing me to the ground in a heap. I landed at Rosen's feet, and Rosen immediately crouched down and lifted me back up to stand. He pulled me to his chest, trying to shield me away from Knox. I clutched onto his shirt, my heart racing. I was so stupid to anger Knox.

"Enough games," one of the men with the guns spoke up. "The council is waiting."

"The council is here?" Cole said incredulously. Rosen hugged me to him tighter, his fingers digging into my side.

"The council will decide your fate. Including hers," Knox nodded at me. Rosen stood straighter, clearly understanding the threat Knox was insinuating.

"Let's go," someone ordered.

Cole was first to be lead, with Rosen and I following close behind. The men surrounded us on all sides so there was no chance of escape.