“Hi Charles,” Vanessa said with a smile.  I waved and slid into the booth across from Luke, which would mean I was sitting with Vanessa.

            “Hey, what are you two doing here?”

            “I was just taking my baby sister to supper.  Since it is her birthday.”

            “Oh, well happy birthday Vanessa.  I thought your birthday was on Saturday?”

            “Nope, that is when the party is.  You’re coming,” Vanessa leaned into me.  “Right?”

            “Yeah, of course.” Vanessa squeaked and hugged me.  I raised an eyebrow at Luke, his face was drawn tight.

            “Charles,” Paul spoke up.  “We’re leaving,” he nodded towards Jack. 

            “Oh,” I got up to leave with them.”

            “We can bring him back if that’s okay with you.” Luke offered.

            “Um,” Jack slipped his hand into Paul’s.  “Okay, come on Paul.” He leaned up and whispered something into Paul’s ear and they both turned to leave.

            “Bye Paul!” I waved.  “It was nice to meet you Jack!” They left, still hand in hand and laughing.

            “Homos,” Vanessa giggled into her drink.

            “Excuse me?”

            “Nothing.” She mumbled while blushing a deep red.  The small restaurant fell silent as the next song came on.  I started to sing along with it.  ‘Edge of a Broken Heart’ by Vixen was playing.

            “I’ve been living on the edge-” I sang quietly.  Vanessa had left for the bathroom so now it was just me and Luke.  “Of a broken heart.  I don’t wanna fall, I don’t wanna crawl!” I started getting a little louder.

            “Man, you sound just like a chick.” I could feel my cheeks heat up with a blush.  Why must he listen?  “You’re not bad or anything.” He said quickly.  Vanessa came back and we got up to go.  We went out to the back parking lot and I walked with Luke, Vanessa was behind us.

            “So, what car is yours?” Luke smiled as he pointed his keys at a 2005 TC Scion.  The black finned car beeped and my jaw fell open.

            “It’s not much.” Luke commented, “But it is cool.” Yeah, cool my butt. 

            “Shotgun!” I called as I ran up and slid in.  Luke went around to the driver’s side and pulled the seat forward so Vanessa could get in the back.  She huffed, but didn’t protest. 

            “You might want to bring a change of clothes.” Luke informed me.  It was the night of Vanessa’s party and we were getting ready to leave.  “And your bear.” He nodded to Pangaea, I picked him up and hugged him tightly.

            “My ‘bear’ has a name.”

            “Whatever.  Are you ready to go?”

            “No!” I shouted.  I ran over and fell to the floor, digging under my bed for my backpack.  I picked it up and spilled its contents all over my bed.  I then went to my dresser and shoved in some clothes, and my calculus book.  I might have to do some of my homework later.