Chapter 14- Sneak

Adam stares at me for a moment before his eyes widen and he groans. "Goddammit, Scarlett, what have you gotten yourself into?" he sighs, running a hand through his hair.

"What do I do?" I say, a little panicked. Adam lets out a breath and leads me back inside as everyone disperses from the Gathering.

"Let's get some warmer clothes on," he says. I furrow my eyebrows as he leads me upstairs.

"Where are we going?" I say as we pull our coats on in his room.

"Well, we've gotta go to your house and solve this, don't we?" Adam says, grabbing his keys off of his desk. "Make up some lie, send her back home. It's too dangerous for her here if they find out she knows you."

I nod, a little nervous, and follow him out to his truck. The whole ride there, I anxiously tap my fingers on the door and bite my lip as I stare out of the window. When we pull into the driveway and pass all of the trees an bush lining it, I see a sleek black Range Rover sitting in front of my house and a smiling Grace getting out and waving to us.

As soon as I get out, she runs towards me and squeezes me in a tight hug. "I missed you so much," she says. "I'm so happy to see you!"

Before I can respond, Grace looks over my shoulder and sees Adam. Her smile falters a little as she stares at him. "Grace, this is my boyfriend, Adam," I say, my face turning hot as I realize this is the first time I've said that.

"Nice to meet you," he says, smiling and shaking her hand.

"This is...football player Adam?" Grace asks me, pleasantly surprised.

"Former," he says, hardly missing a beat before he smirks at me. "So you've talked about me, huh?"

I cough and hurriedly change the subject. "Listen Grace, I don't want you to have come all this way for nothing," I sigh. "But now just isn't a good time. There's a lot going on that you won't even begin to understand."

Her smile vanishes for good. "What happened to telling each other everything?" Grace asks, clearly hurt.

"Trust me, this way bigger than that," I say, glancing up at Adam.

"So...what are you saying? I'm supposed to just turn around and head right back to Florida?"

"No, no, of course not," I say quickly, but she's already angry.

"You promised me we wouldn't do this," she says. "What could possibly be going on that you can't tell me? You used to tell me everything!"

"This isn't like that, trust me!" I reply. "I wish it was, but it wasn't. You would be terrified of me if I told!"

"Well, I already don't know who you are anymore," she retorts. "You're taller, your hair is darker, you've got a boyfriend, you never talk to me anymore. What happened to you? I bet it's him."

"Now that's not fair, Adam hasn't done anything to you!" I say angrily. "You have no clue about anything and I suggest you shut your mouth before you say something you're gonna regret."

"It doesn't matter. I'm done," she growls, turning around and getting back into her car. I roll my eyes as she drives away, trying to hide the hot tears trying to force their way out of my eyes.

"You've gotta fix this Scarlett, it's dangerous for her on her own," Adam says. I sniff quietly, trying to hide the tears, but keeping something hidden from Adam is almost impossible

"Don't cry," he says quietly, wrapping his arms around me as I press my face into his chest.

"This is just so much," I sigh. "I can't lose my mom and my best friend."