Roomate Shoemate

Jade-

I locked my arms and legs around Blake, feeling like I couldn't breathe. The bitter air around us seemed to carry an elevated whooshing sound, rolling around us, stamping into my ears. The blood was pounding in my ears as the marching band on game day. In this moment I feel so venerable, so scared, and so broken. The only reason I haven't completely fallen apart is his arms, wrapped tightly around me, and the way his calloused finger tips are softly holding the back of my head.

The unruly thought of Jason being near me, seeing me, following me... I couldn't escape him, flooding my every thought. How did this happen. He was in prison! He managed to find me, and I need to run as fast as possible. I pushed myself out of Blake's arms, with much reluctance, and turned for my house. As I began walking away he called my name, but I trudged up the stairs to my room. I closed my door, locked it, and slid down to the floor.

"J, open the door. The police officers need to talk to you." As much as I couldn't bear the thought of seeing Blake, I had to talk to them. I stood up, wiped my eyes, and opened the door. I crossed the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed. Sheriff Colon sat beside me, his notepad and pen in hand. A deputy walked over and handed me an evidence box containing the stuff I received tonight.

"Jade, I know you are scared, terrified even. But you need to tell us what happened, including every detail, so that we can find him."

"Why," I said. "So he can find me again? So my life can be flipped upside down for the third time? So he can kidnap me again? So he can rape me, get me pregnant, and then throw me down the stairs like a ragdoll?! There's no point... He always finds me. Always."

I hadn't noticed that I was crying until one lone tear slipped into the corner of my mouth, shedding its salty wetness onto the very tip of my tongue. I also hadn't notice that Blake had sit right beside me, and he was staring at the floor, knuckles white and neck red. He was angry, which didn't make much sense because he hadn't known me but for a week or two.

"Jade, he won't go back to prison, that you're right about. Judge Mattin ordered a shoot to kill order on him tonight. He doesn't get another chance. So I need you to help us get him out for good."

"Okay," I said. "I was in here when Dax left for Blake's party. It was about 9:30 or so. After she left I grabbed a blanket and went downstairs. I walked into the kitchen, got some tea, and curled up on the couch. I fell asleep for about an hour after I watched a movie. When I woke up I turned my phone on, not wanting to scare Dax anymore then I already had. Blake had texted me then and said he and Dax were on their way. Well it usually takes me 20-30 minutes to get to his neighborhood from here, but there was a heavy pounding ion the door about five minutes later. I opened the door, thinking it was them, but I didn't find anyone, nothing but the shoe box down stairs. I closed the door and went inside with the box."

"Okay, about what time was this?"

"Just before I called you, around midnight." Colon just nodded, so I continued. "When I opened the box there was this envelop inside. I opened it and pulled out a thick stack of picture. They were of me, some with Dax, some with Blake, and some..." I trailed off. I stared at the floor, not wanting to say anything.

"Some what?" Blake asked.

I got off the bed and walked to my bedroom window. "Some nude pictures. My screen fell off and I never put it back up, but I always had my curtains closed. He had to have pulled back the curtains enough to take the pictures. I was changing clothes, taking a shower, and he was watching me. He was there, taking pictures."

Blake released a deep throaty noise. "I'm going to kill him!" He roared as he stood from the bed. I walked into his warm body, wrapped mine around his torso, and laid my head down on his chest. His breathing leveled and his shoulders relaxed.

He held me, yet again.