Chapter Four

“Good evening,” the Vice-Principal said.

            “Good evening,” I came to my senses and answered the intercom.

            “This must be Mrs. Kogami, is your husband at home right now?”

Was he serious? He just saw us not too long ago and now he was trying to see Yamato at this house?

            “I’m afraid he’s in the bath right now. If you had a message I can relay it to him when he gets out,”

            “Oh no, I don’t have a message,” he then lifted something up so I could see it on the screen, “I brought some Nara pickles that my family received. I thought I would share some with you,”

            “Pickles,” I nodded, “I see,”

            “Will you open the door?”

The shower was still running in the bathroom so I knew Yamato hadn’t heard the bell and he wouldn’t be out for a while. I also knew that it would be odd to have to fetch my husband to answer the door. Sighing, I gave in.

            “Please come in,” I hit the door release button on the intercom.

            “Thank you,” he said as he walked off-screen.

A light panic began to rise as a million thoughts went through my head. What if he started asking questions? What if I didn’t give the right answers to those questions and he figured out that we weren’t married? With the small independent decision I made by allowing him to come up to the apartment, I could have just ruined Yamato’s job.

After a few moments, there was a knock on the door. Opening it up, I gave the vice-principal a smile.

            “Please come in,”

            “Thank you,” he said, entering the apartment and taking off his shoes.

As I took him into the living room, I saw him begin to critique everything his eyes laid eyes on. Shaking my head I spoke up.

            “Let me prepare you some tea,” yea, that was it, play the house wife card.

            “Oh, please, you needn’t bother,” he said.

Deep inside myself, I let out a great sigh. That was a huge relief because I had just realized that I had no idea where Yamato kept his kettle.

            “This isn’t much,” he continued as he handed me the pickles, “but my wife’s family sent us these. I hope you like them,”

            “Thank you,” I took them with another smile and placed them inside the refrigerator.

After that, an awkward silent covered us. After investigating the room a bit more, the vice-principal cleared his throat.

            “Excuse me,”

            “Yes?”

            “I don’t want to intrude, but are you a housewife?”

            “Um, I guess so,”

            “You guess so?” he looked like a student had just told him a lie.

            “I am a housewife, but I’m also looking for work,”

            “A housewife,” he continued to eye me suspiciously, “I see,” he then looked down at the floor, “Do you use this as a housewife?”