December 15th, 2014

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong with her car?" I ask.

"Absolutely nothing," He says before putting his smoking joint back to his lips. "That's my whole point. If she can afford a car that nice then she surely can afford to get her cute little ass out of the city."

"Unless the toxins in her perfume are suffocating her brain," Faith adds with a snicker. "And she doesn't know what's going on anymore. Or her hair die is soaking up her critical thinking skills. Maybe she likes this city."

"She's actually really nice," I add, trying to defend Danni even though I know that it's futile. This is what I knew would happen if they found out about Danni and this is what I was trying to avoid but it's out of my hands now. I wish she would have just listened to me when I told her to drive away after she dropped me off at the lot because then we would have avoided this whole conversation.

"I'm sure that she is," Cece laughs with a roll of her eyes. "I'd be nice too if I was from the fucking Hamptons."

"She's not from the Hamptons."

"She might as well be," Jules says with a small shrug. "I mean, she was hot, but she was that kind of hot that's really unappealing, you know? Because the personality doesn't match the hot face."

"You don't know her personality," I mumble, feeling kind of irritated even though I know that if I didn't actually know Danni, I would be laughing along with them instead of defending her. Making fun of people with money is one way that we cope with the fact that we have absolutely none. Kind of like how stupid people make fun of smart people, it's a coping mechanism. It's cruel and it's unfair but it's just how it goes.

"Luna, you're kidding right?" He asks me with an easy laugh as he hands his joint to Cece and she takes a drag of the weed and passes it to Faith.

"Look, just because she wouldn't fuck you if you asked politely doesn't mean that she's a bad person. Like I said, she's actually pretty nice," I fire at him. "Let's just talk about something else, alright? I'm not in the mood to deal with you guys being assholes."

"What's got your panties in a bunch?" Faith asks me, seeming surprised that I'm getting annoyed at them for making fun of Danni. That's understandable because like I said, this is normal behavior for us and it should be strange to them that I'm not just going along with it.

"My panties are fine, I just think that you guys are being kind of ridiculous," I say with a small shrug. "And really judgmental for no reason. She just gave me a ride, which was really nice of her because without her driving me, I probably wouldn't have gotten to the lot for another fifteen minutes."

"Somebody's being really sensitive right now," Jules observes as I stand up from the ground and push my notebook into my bag before slipping my coat on. I know that I'm being really pissy right now and I'm just not in the mood to socialize or party or anything so I should just leave now before I start a real argument.

"Whatever," I mumble moodily as I start walking toward the basement stairs. "I'm just going to go home. I'll see you guys on Monday."

They don't say anything else to me before I'm going up the stairs back toward my apartment next door. I'm sure that my friends will brush off my mood as my reaction to Grey getting arrested earlier, and that's probably true, so I know that they won't even bring it up when we get to school on Monday. We all have our bad days and we all have tough skin so we just move on.

On my way out of the building, I notice the abandoned strip mall across the street from the apartment building has some blank white space beside one of the old glass store doors. I can hardly see it due to the only light source being the flickering street lights, but I can still see it clear enough. It used to be riddled in graffiti but I guess one of those charity groups that goes around the city cleaning up the graffiti came around and cleaned off the tiles so that they're white again. Because graffiti is the worst thing that has ever happened to the city so these groups must protect us inhabitants from their disgusting presence. Personally, I think the graffiti adds a little something to this bullshit. It's like a tattoo for the city, it tells our story. It's art.